Learn me about Ortofon arms and SPU cartridges

After lusting after it for a while I’ve bought Chris’s TD124, with a view to putting a different classic age appropriate arm and cart with it.

Initial thoughts were for something like an RMG 212 arm and an SPU, but could be convinced I guess by an SME of some kind (must have detachable headshell).

I’d appreciate tips on the above arm and carts, and fully expect some recommendations for something completely different!

1 Like

Graphite arm board (For 12") http://www.audiosilente.com/thorens-en.html

Original RMG 309 (You would want the Ortofon HiJack with this)

Ortofon Century (Bit odd looking)

Or 95

2 Likes

Here’s my old one

I ended up not using the top platter and just using a Tenuto on top of the main platter

1 Like

Is that the Ortofon 309 that I have now, Matt?

Yes it went to Jack then you. The linked one above is an original with a slightly heavier ten position weight.

1 Like

Should have added, the aesthetics I’m looking for on this deck mean I’m looking to maintain the original arm board style and so don’t want an outrigger type extension to accommodate longer arms.

What did most people get with them through the late 50s/60s TP14?

I love the look of the 309.

1 Like

They were sold originally with 9" or 12" arm boards - Might be worth having a look at 'Swiss Precision" the opus work when it comes to Thorens 124’s for some ideas?

1 Like

Good idea, I’ll go find a copy.

The latest compendium is German only. You can buy the earlier (smaller) compendium direct form Joachim

2 Likes

Ordered :+1:

1 Like

Did you buy it with the fr?

No I didn’t because although that is a fabulous arm I knew I’d end up replacing it with something that just looks different.

There’s a lot of good stuff here

2 Likes

It may not have the look you are after, but I have heard the Ortofon SPU Royal N sounding very fine on a number of occasions over the past couple of years

1 Like

SME 3009 and an SPU looks great on the deck.

9 Likes

Do you know if there are any plans to produce an English version of the latest tome?

I’m not sure the very 1st book wasn’t then they did an English edition. I hope Joachim does do it. It really is a labor of love thing

1 Like

Seeing this level of nerdery I now consider myself beneath a casual observer of those who indulge in hi-fi.

The Royal N is a gem.
Offers the Replicant 100 stylus, ability to mount in various headshells (gotta be HEAVY though), or in the regular SPU body if you have one knocking around.

Offers a more balanced and up to date sound imo vs elipitcal and of course spherical SPU versions.

2 Likes