Let me ignore your advice

Anyone got any thoughts on in particular amps to drive these Peak Consults I’ve agreed to buy?

Technical data is pretty limited on these due to Peak now being under new ownership from when these were made. Based on similar things they make I think we’re looking at about 90dB sensitivity, and they probably want something that leans towards a slightly warmer sound.

Budget of up to £2k for amplification I think.

Integrated or power or pre/power?

Can be integrated, can be pre/power.

I do own an L300, but it’s still in France and I don’t fancy getting it posted so won’t have it until May at the earliest.

1 Like

Perhaps a Denon or Yamaha integrated 2nd hand as a stand in until you have the L300 and a suitable power amp.

This could be good value for the power amp.

Sony VFET TA-5650

You can use it as an integrated until you get the L300 then pull the link and just use the power amp section.

Or wait until you get the L300 and buy my First Watt F4 :slight_smile: .The L300 should be ok as long as it has a decent amount of voltage gain @murrayjohnson

1 Like

I have a Hegel 160 integrated I would sell.

1 Like

This this and more this!

I’ve had two hegels now… absolutely dull as dishwater. Warm yes, but tonally neutered.

I replaced a Hegel h390 with one of those AA amps and it was a vast improvement, I only sold it on as the AA didn’t quite have the power my Harbeths wanted. But it had a gorgeous natural warmth and sublime bass!

But the hifi news measurements put it at about 100wpc into 8 ohms, and nearly 200 into 4, so there’s lots of current on tap. Build quality is sublime, it looks a million bucks, and is a used bargain for what was once a £4k+ amp!

I have zero hesitation recommending it highly! And with a 90db speaker, this is more than enough power!

I’ll be moving my Lavardin IS Ref on at some point if that’s ok interest.

1 Like

Given you have such a great preamp coming in May it makes sense to buy a stop gap integrated in the meantime and get to know the speakers before choosing a suitable power amp to go with them and the L300.

If you really want to spend the whole £2k then this would be nice and shouldn’t depreciate too much.

2 Likes

I have a pair of Ranl Concept valve monos that you are more than welcome to borrow. I’ve not fired them up for over a year so it is no real inconvenience to me.

1 Like

That’s very tempting - my only concern is there’s likely to be extended periods where I’m away but nieces and nephews might be here. If it’s my stuff it’s one thing, but someone else’s stuff is different.

1 Like

I never considered the issue with kids. These are 16W full class A with no valve cages to separate little fingers from hot glass. Still, the offer stands if you want them.

If you fancy pre/power I have these child friendly Bel Canto Evos. Very smooth slightly warm sounding. Totally unlike their newer stuff. These will drive pretty much anything.

8 Likes

Ideal I’d have thought👌

1 Like

Now that looks perfect.

1 Like

I have a bit of a conundrum. I finally have the Peaks and the Bel Cantos here, and have borrowed an Eversolo A8 on source duty. I’ve also had a play using my brother’s Moon ACE.

I get the feeling that the Peaks really want a pretty hefty bit of power. I have now found a sensitivity rating of 90dB for them, but no idea on anything else to even use as a guide. The Bel Canto is generating 120W class D, which gives reasonable grip, but tonally it’s a bit too soft for my taste. The ACE is tonally more where I’m after, but at 50W A/B it’s really not got the grunt. I’m shit at describing sound stuff, but the Moon is a bit more exciting, bit more snap and punch to the sound without being too much.

I’m happy using the pre in the Eversolo if I stick with it, so a power or integrated would be fine, but I’m feeling a bit lost about what might be worth trying. Budget of roughly £2k.

Edit: I have a slight concern that the sort of amp that’s really going to get these things on song is going to be more than I can really justify, but I don’t want to rule out the possibility of getting something that works.

Shudder :confounded:

Oh now that’s embarrassing.

Dare I say a supernait
No idea if it would work or if you would like it

Which model BC is that? If it’s 4ch you can bridge for more oomph.
I don’t think the Evos lack power. I’ve got the Evo 4 and never felt it lacked oomph.