Log burners

Claire wants one. I don’t, so that means we’re going to have one. I know they’re not great environmentally but it will probably be hardly used.

It won’t be needed to provide any real heat, it just needs to look pretty, have real flames and make ash for me to clean up, so we’ll end up with one that Claire likes the look of so I’m not looking for advice on choosing stoves.

What’s the deal with flues? They seem awfully expensive for what they are when you look at proper log burner shops, but you can find them a hell of a lot cheaper if you dig around, are they all created equal?

Get a nice French one

The flue has to comply with HEATAS regs similar to gas flue regs. It’s an expensive business.

1 Like

Fuck it, it’s only carbon monoxide. I mean you breathe out carbon dioxide and that’s got double the o in it.

3 Likes

Just say no. When you’re right, you’re right. Time to fight.

1 Like

Lol, it would be properly installed, by a grownup who knows what they’re doing, there’s no way I’m pissing about up a ladder or cutting holes in my house. I was just wondering about buying the stuff myself rather than having the installer supply at a premium.

2 Likes

I know. I actually showed her that this morning and the response was that we’d “only be burning nice logs”.

I have got one in the new house.
I also have underlying chest conditions
I read the article mentioned above
I will not be using it.

If there is any chance you have long term respiratory issues due to your having Covid-19 I wouldn’t be getting one, (Unless Claire has you fully insured!)

2 Likes

I have a friend who owns a company that fits fireplaces and burners. I can ask him if you like?

1 Like

I’m going to leave it up to her, thanks Gareth, if I ignore it, it might not happen, especially if I don’t enable her by finding ways to make it cheaper.

The top of the flue has to be well above the ‘nearest’ roof, nearest being a few m in both directions, and it has to be a m or two higher - so unless you are lucky, you need a very long flue and it’s a couple of hundred per m to supply and install. For us it was about 1000 just for the flue

1 Like

Yeah, they’re to sort of figures I’ve been seeing. We’d need a bloody long one if it has to be above the ridge, might actually be a deal breaker.

It’s why we gave up. We wanted one in the lounge but we needed a 30’ flue and it was more than the burner and we’d look like a Chinese takeaway

Get a new electric one with a nice screen. They look pretty nice now. You maybe be able to put a gas one in the wall with a much shorter flue

1 Like

She wants a real one, because of binge watching A Place In The Cuntry reasons, a facsimile won’t cut it.

She won’t spend what we can’t afford though, so I’ll keep showing her the £1500 flues.

2 Likes

We’ve got two. Don’t think Greta would be impressed.

1 Like

Tesla smugness offset.

5 Likes

tell her to wind her fucking neck in and put this on the TV :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

Sadly I can’t watch it as I’m in the middle of watching some paint dry

1 Like