Log burners

Oh that’s the same make as mine. /nerd

I have a Firebelly FB so naturally that sets the standard for desirability.

1 Like

And mine.

1 Like

You have a beige belly. :grinning:

I have one, most of the houses (apart from the Council owned ones) here have them too. No gas supply to anywhere on Shetland so it’s electric, shitty oil fired boilers or solid fuel.

Upsides

They chuck out loads of heat (mine does anyway - 9kw) look lovely, especially when the winter storms are raging and it’s all warm and snug indoors.

Downsides

Other than the obvious environmental issue, they create a fuckton of dust. If you’re super houseproud (I’m not!) you will need to dust, every single day!

I’ll be keeping mine. I burn coal, wood and peat. If you want to have that flexibility you need a multi-fuel burner, not a log burner.

2 Likes

Surely there’s no issue with your burner since you’re so isolated and remote. Is it not the cumulative effect of hundreds of thousands of burners in our towns and cities that are damaging local air quality and harming our lungs?

No issue locally, just the wider cumulative effect that would occur if a lot of the UK population decided to use one.

This might cause a problem with record and tape decks, and electrostatic speakers.
An external music room like @pmac’s is difficult for most of us.

2 Likes

Oh fuck, the nominated (hard won) room that I’ve got in the new house as my music room has a wood burner. Guess that’s never going on then!

they dont create that much dust, and if you burn kiln dried logs they don’t create as much shit as is being claimed. Decent fire, more than decent flue and your good to go. Start to burn wet wood and all bets are off .

2 Likes

I used to have one many years ago. Even with a free supply of logs from the landlord it was a ballache.
Mostly got used on the very rare occasions Ladies came round ( add dumb fuck comment here).

Paint some logs red and orange so the other half thinks it is in use :+1:

2 Likes

Unwelcome image invasion in mind garden

1 Like

Now we know you’ve made that story up!

I’d like to get one later in the year, to go in our living room, the main issue will be if we can get it installed without damaging/removing the lovely 50s tiled fireplace surround.

Mainly I’d like one as its more child friendly, and safer than the open fire, however lovely the open fire is!

Just mention that you would like to re-enact the wrestling scene from ‘Women In Love’ with Sodders…every now and again Rob

1 Like

We have an open fire which we use a lot in the winter.

We looked at getting a wood burner. The shop came round and gave us 2 options. Buy one that would fit into the fireplace or one that needed space all round it. He said the fitted ones were only good for decoration as most of the heat benefit came from all four sides and to and a fitted one only has 1 heating face.

With the other type you have 2 options. Either knock a hole big enough for it to fit in (not practical) or have the bulk of it out in the room. Our room didn’t suit that so we didn’t bother.

1 Like

We have 2, a multi-fuel downstairs and a log burner upstairs. We got the flue lined so its all safe and stuff. I love them but make sure you get one that is the right size for the room. The one we have upstairs was installed by the previous owner and is too big for the room its in really. You’ll be sitting around in your pants :joy:.

5 Likes

What she wants is to wall mount the tv in the back room and put the log burner in its place in the corner.

However if it goes there it’s at the opposite end of the room to the gable end of the house, so the roof is sloping there. For the flue to be above the ridge line at that point it would be quite tall and presumably unsupported for maybe 3 or 4 meters. Perhaps it could have guy wires into the roof. Whatever, it would look shit and be expensive to achieve.

Think I might be getting my way by default, for once.

I mostly do that anyway :+1:

4 Likes