....more armchair politics (Part 1)

The Ig Nobel for economics went to Pavlo Blavatskyy, a professor at Montpellier Business School, who used a computer vision algorithm and photos of politicians to find evidence that obesity is “highly correlated” with national corruption.

1 Like

Half of the social care bill is surely on the young and disabled. None of the additional money will be heading their way, austerity still rules. If your house is worth 186000 quid then you are still liable for 86000 of care costs and ask the hotel costs. If you are rich, you now have a call on what you have to pay and no doubt that will become an insurable liability.

All dependent on the NHS giving up the money in the years time, until then, no extra money at all for social care.

In the meantime some 40 new NHS executive board being created and funded as new management bodies put in place to attempt to integrate various services, paid for by efficiencies, or cuts as I like to call them.

The whole thing is laughable, the fact that Boris still gets away with saying he’s fixed the NHS and social care is a disgrace.

3 Likes

It’s worse than that. These boards have been ‘operating’ in non statutory form for the last 5-6 years achieving absolutely bugger all but providing salary and pensions to a group of people entirely incapable of understanding let alone planning and delivering regional integration of care.

What we’ll end up with in April is the dismantling of CCGs who were deliberately saddled and shamed with artificial debts as a awy of justifying sweeping them away (they were a flawed concept badly implemented from the start) and a new group with no responsibility for actual peformance having the same endless debates about where best to spend healthcare money to move more care out of hospitals into different more appropriate settings, but without resolving the tricky problem that every acute hospital CEO and FD in the land will resist the reduction in their income until their last dying breath.

I suspect things will go on in this fashion for another 5 years.

1 Like

Looks like you’ll be busy for the next few years then

Nope I refuse to waste any more of my time and waste public money on pointless exercises of trying to build capability amongst a group of people that just don’t get it/ won’t get it.

1 Like

6 Likes

Ooof!

1 Like

What are the odds that sweet FA is done about this, I can’t see Boris sacking or disciplining her.

No mention of it on the beeb either.

2 Likes
1 Like

He was an absolute bellend on Marr this morning, dropping them is such a stupid idea.

All part of the deal that got the national insurance hike through. Along with removal of PCR tests for the double vaccinated returning from abroad.

This would have bought off a large scale rebellion from the Tory right, the ERG or CRG or whatever they call themselves these days.

1 Like

I can’t remember which old Tory right winger came up with this, but worthy of some merit. Think it was Lilley, yea I know.

His idea was a public not for profit insurance scheme to cover all care costs. The premise was simple, ten percent of your estate was the premium, that was it. Payable on death or if the estate is sold or transferred when you go into care. It would provide enough for everyone including those who couldnt pay in due to poverty.

If you dont sign up, then all costs fall to your estate.

It would get the very rich off the hook. If your estate’s worth more than a few million then it’ll be cheaper to cover your own care costs than to sign up to the insurance. You were probably going to fund that care anyway (I suspect the insurance scheme won’t pay for the sorts of lavish places the very rich want to be in) and now you don’t have to contribute to the care of the poor people, as you might have done if that had been paid for from general taxation.

I suspect your average millionaire pays next to fuck all tax, in this country. You’ll never fix the top o.1 percent with any scheme.

Got a house worth a million though, retired or still working and earning then it becomes attractive.

It also fixes the problems that today’s elderly, people like me, will get away with paying next to sod all under Boris’s half arsed scheme.

Your only alternative is to try and buy private insurance, this will always be more expensive than a delayed premium scheme offered by a non for profit.

GB News looses its Chair, bye bye Andrew.

You’ve been Faraged

3 Likes

The man is scum who labours under the delusion that he is better than the rest of us.

2 Likes

“homophobic slurs”?

But, umm, he’s gay?

Flag of convenience I guess, thereby tripling the giant-turd-factor.

That is rumoured to be the reason he left his deeply unpleasant wife but he certainly wasn’t ‘out’ when he was in the business of making homophobic slurs for the chuckles.

As long as they fund nuclear power stations, provide cheap imports and cheap labour for the rich, no harm done.

Mother of all parliaments my arse