....more armchair politics (Part 1)

If it is of any interest, The full report into the background for the statement.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9623/CBP-9623.pdf

1 Like

tl:dr = The rich are fine, the poor are fucked, have we forgotten anybody ?

2 Likes

The lack of an OBR forecast is really worrying. Iā€™m that report, it says that the OBR said they could do one, but the chancellor didnā€™t request it.

It highlights to me that this government is running on dogma, rather than data. Kinda scary.

1 Like

Smog said on Newsnight last night that a lack of an OBR report didnā€™t matter as no OBR forecast had ever been correct.

He also said how Reagan introduced similar measures and what a huge success they were in stimulating growth in subsequent years. For some reason, he omitted to mention that they were successful in terms of making the rich a great deal richer and causing decades long stagnation in the standard of living of the lower and middle classes. Canā€™t think why.

As usual he was not challenged on any of this by the pet poodle that is your typical BBC political interviewer these days. Bring back the likes of Paxman, Waldon et al.

1 Like

They wish it to be true, so it is true. For example

Threatening to ship people arriving on small boats to Rwanda will reduce the number of people arriving on small boats.

The EU will be ā€˜flexibleā€™ about applying the protocol, which we both agreed to, concerning trade and Northern Ireland.

The big companies which own our water infrastructure will spend their profits on stopping raw sewage discharges into our inland and coastal waters.

There are substantial ā€˜efficiency savingsā€™ to be had in any and every public sector body.

The poor outcomes of policies which are based on dogma and which contradict the facts are caused solely by lack of commitment on the part of those implementing them.

There are loads more untruths like these, Iā€™m sure.

6 Likes

I used to do forecasting, albeit financial rather than economic. Whenever I ran training courses, I would start off with a line like ā€œall forecasts are wrong; the key is to produce a forecast that is useful for the decisions that need to be madeā€.

When the decision is already made, you donā€™t need a forecast.

1 Like

I thought the OBR had done a forecast but the govt declined them publishing it

Coming from the cunt who shorted sterling on brexit.

1 Like

No. They had done the prep, and said that they could do one, but the government told them to, uh, do oneā€¦

4 Likes

When people canā€™t afford their Sky subscription / newspaper / broadband etc the favorable light shining on these unfavorable policies and people may dim.

2 Likes

MOT waiting room has BBC parliament on the telly. The Labour someone or other for health has just quoted Dr Dre at Therese Coffeyā€¦

Yep, the middle class becoming the new poor.

At that point , theyā€™ll probably do something about it. And hopefully stop believing all the bullshit. I hopeā€¦

Weā€™re at that point already.

And got an Irish passport I think

cuntsā€¦

Actual political ideas up for debate, this needs to be stamped out before it catches on!

Assume they intend to borrow to meet that spending commitment. I havenā€™t seen anything yet saying they have dropped the spending commitments.

I think they sent the email out early by mistake, assume it was supposed to be announced in the mini budget tomorrow (or hidden on a bad news day)