....more armchair politics (Part 1)

Keeping my fingers crossed that the protests and riots in Iran will finally be enough to unseat the Religeous fruitcakes and their police state.

7 Likes

Sadly the mullahs have a track record of cracking down hard on dissent. Stringing a troublemaker up from every lamp-post along the main drag, and leaving them there pour dĂŠcourager les autres has been a tactic in the past.

And now they want to fuck over wildlife as they switch farming subsidies back to acres under the plough.

Large farming companies, including the wheat and barley brigade, will benefit the most.

I suspect the stripping of the supermarket shelves in the early days of the pandemic and the prospect of the Ukraine war dragging on have caused DEFRA to go blind on this. All they can see are ‘food security’ and ‘small government’ as the overriding drivers for policy.

If farmers were genuinely responsible they’d understand that preserving the environment is in their interests. But if Bert next door’s yield is 20% above yours because he’s tipped stronger chemicals onto his land then it’s hard to resist following him in the short term at least.

Back to the CAP days it is, must be another Brexit bonus🤣

3 Likes

Are there any more interest groups they can piss off?

4 Likes

Gotta love a fecker

Said similar on Twitter. Seems like it’s just a political or social science experiement just to “shoot the breeze” before they are put out on their arses.

Or, if you take a more Machiavellian view, making things so bad that the incoming administration struggle to get anything under control during their term.

6 Likes

More to come!

Looking at Trumps agenda to rig and sabotage pretty much every system & cultural norm and Biden’s struggle with the fall out, it appears we are continuing to mirror from the same playbook.

2 Likes

That would be easy to fix, make the first action to reverse the tax cuts and changes so that the public have long forgotten them by the next GE.

Unfortunately there’s two snags with that

1. Labour won’t win the next GE as they’ll spend the lead up tearing themselves apart because Starmer is Tory lite and Corbyn (or Lynch) should be in charge

2. If they win the GE they will spend the next 5 years tearing themselves apart because Starmer is Tory lite and Corbyn (or Lynch) should be in charge

1 Like

While Labour are clearly somewhat prone to infighting, it’s always worth remembering that the Tories are completely rent asunder, and have gouged out most of their centre right. The press isn’t going to mention this much, because it’s owned by billionaires.

Always keep this in mind, or you’re being successfully manipulated.

1 Like
  1. Labour do win the GE and the leader is Tragic Grandpa. We would never see another Labour government, even in my Grandchild’s lifetime.

I think we can expect several years of the same right wing press promoting fear of a Lab government as their only tactic to deliver another bunch of Tory grifters at the GE.

Unfortunately the general erosion (Danke: Mammon / capitalism / internet / reality TV / Spiritual decline (…I’m not talking dream catchers and tye dye, I’m talking about: empathy, compassion, forgiveness, honesty, tolerance etc) of fundamental human traits and norms may be leading to greater separation in society.

Work hard / make progress has been replaced with instant gratification
Being part of a community (Social instinct) has been exchanged for some fairly narcissistic motivations, more self, less compassion. More greed less giving. More intolerance - less tolerance. Less honesty → Alternative facts. Manufactured insecurity / Fear, may well have a lot to answer for, it lies at the root of selfishness.

This ‘specialness’ and difference in the individual seems to be a terminal uniqueness (Rather than noting none of us are a million miles apart…humans share 60% of their DNA with a fucking banana) leads to more ‘I’ less ‘We’ as a pervasive message from the TV to the tower-block.

Meanwhile our political role models are narcissists, complete self interest is becoming legitimized in some eyes.

Why then would some people vote Labour, when their ‘learned’ outlook / values are: care less, tolerate less, think of themselves more, desire more etc?

Perhaps pain will bring meaningful change ?

As my Nan would say “Don’t fuckin’ care was made to care”

7 Likes

8 Likes

I think that the tax reduction will play well for the Tories in and election. It’s will be difficult for Labour to win the majority required on a ticket of increasing taxes. I think the only one they have committed to overturning is the 45p rate, not the NI reduction nor the 1p off base rate income tax.