More shit that doesn't merit its own thread (septic tank overflow alert)

Finally, a good reason to go vegan

8 Likes

This is quite an interesting programme on the inefficiency involved in farming animal products. Itā€™s this kind of argument that could make me consider stopping eating meat. Not health reasons nor the morality of it.

Trouble is, people arenā€™t going to change en masse so we, or at least our descendants, are fecked.

The way to change this is simply to do it. If you wait for everyone else then it will be too late, for sure.

What surprised me more was the carbon cost of dairy produce ie comparing milk production with the production of, for example, a soya alternative.

I assume youā€™re talking in general, as I doubt youā€™d go 2 days without experiencing bacon withdrawals equivalent to the bends.

1 Like

I agree. A genuinely sustainable agriculture is clearly desirable, and we are a long way from that.

We have moved to a high volume system that produces a lot of food, but at huge cost to the environment and animal welfare. Unfortunately we need the amount of food produced.

I was vegan for ten years :slight_smile:

Worst. Boast. Ever.

4 Likes

I have no loin fruit so Iā€™m banking that as a carbon offset for meat.

2 Likes

I like that.

I have none either, so Iā€™ll share your excuse.

2 Likes

You have dogs though. It turns out they are terrible for CF too.

Fair enough, but my use of a bus for the daily commute gets me bacon, surely.

2 Likes

No loin fruit either or dogs. Small cats produce a nano carbon footprint

Probably carbon negative due to all the bird murder.

2 Likes

Cats are worse than serial killers.

3 Likes

indoor catsā€¦ :sunglasses:

I was going to say that we have multiplied to the point where we need the amount of food produced. But I fear that we couldnā€™t reduce the global population really drastically (say ten-fold or more) and maintain a genuinely first-world standard of living (a health service capable of kidney transplants, say, or a movie-making system capable of Passengers, or a supply chain capable of delivering sixty different types of gin, not to mention nearly enough shoes for @anon14766838).

VB

2 Likes

1 Like

I knew a group of vegans in the 90s.
We just used to feed them lentils, and occassionally curried lentils, we did let them keep their disgusting soya liquid in the fridge.
If we kept them stoned all the time they just used to mutter to themselves and sit around looking pale and ill and leave us alone.
I donā€™t think I would encourage such behaviour these days.
Probably kinder to have them put down.

6 Likes