Motorcycle memory lane

For the bikers on here
I’m fast approaching retirement and looking at acquiring a project bike something I really lusted after back in the day but could never afford.
For me. Kawaski H1 (aka the widow maker)

At 17 just passed my test and used to gaze into the local Honda 5 star dealers window wishing I could afford the monthly payments £2599 brand new seemed like mega bucks back then.
Interested to see you guys dream machines

3 Likes

:grimacing: A mate had one about 10 years ago. It was quick, but it wouldn’t go round corners and the brakes didn’t work. I’d have this:

4 Likes

Just wow ! 750 America ?

I’ve always liked these, in this colour scheme

3 Likes

750 S

Another Italian I couldn’t afford:

2 Likes

Or for something more “everyday”…

GSX1100E

3 Likes

My mate’s Mrs is looking for a nice Commando to replace her Bonneville T140ES

I remember the H2 as special. A school mate put his in a wall by the old peoples home (as it was called then) exiting Wantage square was well pinned up and had 9 months in recovery.

3 Likes

I loved my Suzy 750 water bottle…so quiet and smooth.

5 Likes

This could be a huge list but here we go.
Bimota Tesi YB

Yamaha RD500

Honda NR750 for the oval piston madness.

5 Likes

Want that

4 Likes

Yep, quite unusual with a front swinging arm, rather than forks…

Had a reputation for being a bit slow steering iirc? But there was a guy in Bristol who used to work for the factory team who knew the tricks to tune the steering up.

Had one exactly the same as this

Not scary fast, by today’s standards, but too fast for the frame and brakes.

4 Likes

Sound like a pretty good description of many of the bikes during the era

Yeah, even by the standards in those days, it was more of a cruiser than a sports bike…

1 Like

True, true.

Had a CBX1000 in the early 90s. The engine is sublime, so smooth as long as the carbs are in balance. Quite rapid despite its mass but did feel like it was hinged in the middle.
Alway preferred the naked version over the fairing one.

I have never owned a motorbike.
I went to see Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 1979 and rode pillion on one of these

It was very handy to ride past all the queues of cars trying to get out at the end

My little brother went from a 50cc Moped at 16yrs to one of these as a learner at 17yrs

Someone told me that it was the Yamaha RD250 and the Suzuki X7 that caused the engine size for learners to be reduced to 125cc

2 Likes