Mumsnet thread - dishwashers

Thames Valley water (hard as fuck) and our Bosch dishwasher has lasted 8 years without missing a beat.

^^ The aforementioned.

1 Like

I can relate to that. When we moved 2 yrs ago the built in dishwasher that was included with the house broke within the first month. Washing up while a replacement was on order was horrific, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

How old was the Bosch?
I’ve only ever bought Bosch DW and they’ve been good ones, inc the one we have now.

The Bosch is about 5-6 years old maybe, and was £600. It’s been a good machine, but I don’t want a £200+ repair bill every 18 months, that’s totally unacceptable.

I’ve ordered the cheap one, and have been looking into water softeners. That’s another rabbit hole, but there’s a shop nearby that looks good, so I’ll go talk to them soon.

You’ll be upset with your cheap dishwasher.

1 Like

Yep, that was a mistake. The spring clip on the door will break in 24 months time.

1 Like

You might be right, but if it lasts a year and then I buy an expensive one, I’ll be ok with that.

OK.

4 Likes

We had a 19 year old at work and I was quite speechless when she told me that she had never washed up in her life.

She whinged about loading and unloading the dishwasher for her Mum but when looking to rent a flat with her boyfriend if it didn’t have a dishwasher it wasn’t considered.

1 Like

Sensible.

1 Like

This.

We shoehorned a half size dishwasher into the kitchen of MrsKettle’s old house when we sold it and it went a lot quicker than other houses around there.

Clearly she would only put on the rubber gloves for recreational purposes then. Seems like a plan to me…

Need liquid soap…apparently :blush:

I’m happy to have a learning experience if the cheap one is shit. This Bosch has been good, but unreasonably expensive to fix. Finding out how shit a cheap one actually is will be useful, I think. :rofl:

Did someone mention koffee machines?

2 Likes

If you look at water softeners…
We have this one and it has been excellent so far : http://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/kitchen/tapworks-ad11-water-softener-ad11.html

Once it’s in, you only have to chuck salt in it every few months.

1 Like

We went from an unreliable Bosch to a Miele and never looked back

Our Bosch is on its last legs, and has been shite. The plastic panel on the control panel fell off, amongst other things.

I would go for a Miele, as we have one of their washing machines, which has been decent, but the hard water here is holding me back towards a cheaper one. Maybe I should put a water softener in and get the decent one.

I use a Bosch and it’s my second one, the last one lasted about 8 years of being used daily. Mine cost £300-ish in a sale and is 3 years old. I did have a Miele uber expensive one for about 12 years, but it just wore out and everything went, not worth £500 to repair.

Mine gets used at least every other day and I would not be without it. In fact when the last one broke and the kids were still living with me (now 20+) they went apeshit when the dishwasher broke.

My boiler broke down the other day…
I just put my arm round her and told her things would be fine. She’s ok now.

2 Likes