Mumsnet thread - dishwashers

Our one is a good 15 years old. Why accept it will die?

My Bosch one has been fine the last 3 years I have had it so far, but then I don’t feed it solids like I expect* all you lot do.

If you put blocks of cheese in your 'washer, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Parents bought a Miele recently, I can’t hear a blind bit of difference between the two, the cutlery drawer is nice, though. The Indesit one they had before hand never cleaned anything properly unless you just lobbed the tablet in with the dishes before you started it.

*Categorically know to be fact.

I have a dishwasher, her name’s Ann. :wink:

2 Likes

Our Miele has been faultless for the last eight years (jinxed it now…) and I’ve just had to clean the non-return valve and pump impeller for the first time due to something solid getting in there. It was expensive to buy, but it came with a 5-year warranty so we’ve had peace of mind, it cleans really well and I’d have another one.

Our Miele washing machine has a ten year warranty.
Expensive, but built like a tank.

1 Like

I have a Whirlpool one, and it’s ok, but doesn’t seem especially well-made. If I were getting another, I’d go for Miele without a doubt. My washing machine is Miele and it is a higher level of appliance, in terms of build quality and reliability.

The £800 Miele at John Lewis has a two year warranty. You can extend it to five years for an extra £140. I don’t mind paying the cash up front, but I don’t like to buy things that are four times the price of basic models when the manufacturer isn’t willing to back up the alleged higher build quality with a warranty.

Because last time it cost £250+ to repair, and I think it’s the same part required.

I was pleased with my decision last time, as it fit in with my strong preference to repair rather than replace, and I expected another 3-5 years from it. 18m is not acceptable for that cost of repair, especially as there is other stuff that can go wrong now it’s even older.

Cheer up it’s christmas

1 Like

Cunt :unamused:

2 Likes

Listen carefully, for I shall say this only once… SIEMENS.

Don’t make a meal of it with a Miele.

1 Like

It is not only just about reliability remember. There will always be exceptions where cheap ones last forever and vice versa.

However it would be pure folly to overlook the actual quality of the wash and the end result.

The various wash cycles on most machines are poor, the better machines are more accurate.

Don’t be a cock with SMEG.

We have the same make of DW and had a problem but rang Bosch who put us in touch with their repair contractor who was Domestic & Gereral.
paid for 1 year repair insurance which cost £130 and machine was fixed (leak) and were covered for the next year which was handy as the pump became noisy which was also replaced.
Moral is get insurance for a year and try and break it as much as possible to get your money’s worth. :grin:

Don’t forget to put 10% aside for spikes and an after market cable

2 Likes

Well I’ve ordered the cheap one, so I’ll see how it is for a while. If it’s shit then I’ll learn a lesson, if it works then I’ll have saved some cash. The Bosch cost over £150 per year of ownership, so this one has to last about 15 months to be better value - assuming it actually fucking cleans stuff.

Best dishwasher

2 Likes

Washing up is good family time - we have great banter washing the dishes in the kitchen after a family meal while someone is allocated to drinks duty.

I always get the washing up for some reason, could be asbestos hands.

Bin the fucker and install a drinks rack.

Your kids secretly hate you

5 Likes

You could just leave the washing up in the garden during the storm tomorrow. It’ll either be blown away (win) blasted to fragments (win) or rinsed clean by nature (win). No need for marigolds or scourers. Otherwise, get yourself a dishwasher, anything else is just ball ache upon ball ache…

Bollox, washing the pots is no chore. 10 minutes and I would bet they’re cleaner than anything a dishwasher can manage.

1 Like