Mumsnet thread - dishwashers

If I could find an apron that looked good on me, I’d wash up by hand.

This may be true for cheap dishwashers, but decent ones definitely get them cleaner.

2 Likes

Could be worse

5 Likes

Panel

2 Likes

Report after one week:

Currys fulfillment service is a bit shit. I can forgive the lack of appearance on snow Monday, but their system for recovering from this was poor and required my to call them after their system texted me some inconsistent nonsense.

I can’t yet detect any difference in quality of wash.

I don’t miss the cutlery tray at all. This one has a basket, but it then gives more height to the top drawer, which is useful for glasses with stems.

It’s clearly not as well built as the Bosch, but doesn’t seem like a problem.

A year on…

This dishwasher is fine. There have been no niggles with build quality.

Its wash time is shorter than the Bosch, and it is slightly less good at washing. The top shelf is fine, but the bottom shelf not so good. In practice this means that we soak stuff for an hour if it’s been used for roasting, so it’s no big issue.

There are two matters that might be connected. Firstly it needs the filter to be cleaned more often than the Bosch did; secondly our drain has not been blocked all year. I suspect that the Bosch may have been letting larger particles through, which caused drain issues; this has not happened with the Beko. If that is the cause, then it’s a huge win. The drain blocking was a fucking nightmare.

I much prefer the cutlery basket to the tray, as the loss of height to fit the tray prevents some items from fitting. YMMV.

A brief dalliance with more environmentally friendly detergent and rinse aid was a poor choice. Caustic is your friend, it seems.

Overall I am happier with this than I was the Bosch, due to the drain blocking issue. So that’s a win.

New dishwasher has been installed. Two points:
a) the styling has been based on KITT/a Cylon interceptor

b) there is an app to control the dishwasher (paging @Tons_of_fun on this one). Which is brilliant, apart from the fact that an app can’t stack it or put a tablet in.

3 Likes

App controlled white goods are the very apex of internet of shit. Heroically pointless.

The red lights are cool, mind.

1 Like

I had to get a replacement Siemens dishwasher recently after the last one shat itself after about 10 years.

The “upgraded” one now has touch controls so stunningly unresponsive that using the app is preferable. Imagine how bad they must be for that to be the case.

5 Likes

We’ve just purchased a new dishwasher. We avoided the wifi control. But, lets hope the buttons work in light of Browellm’s comments. But, when they bring in different charges for electricity at different times then I guess “remote control” might be useful.

Ours has a delay function, we use dishwasher and washing machine during cheap rate period.

2 Likes

We don’t have a dishwasher.

There is two of us.

Why the fuck would we want a dishwater?

We have eye hi - she looks at me and I wash up.

Same here :+1:

me, Finger trouble?

I have a diswasher
There is one of me
I never had one until two years ago
Would never go back it is brilliant.

9 Likes

How many plates, pans etc do you own?

As I use them they go in the dishwasher.
When I run out I run the diswasher
Normally a couple of times a week at about 2.00 in the morning

There’s 2 of us, we use our D/W every 48 hours over night, everything goes in.
More energy efficient than running bowls of hot water from the boiler.

2 Likes

Four of us here, once every 48 hours plus one washing up of the ‘difficult’ stuff. I couldn’t live without one.