Mumsnet time: mattresses

you haven’t worn out the bedside beaker as well?

3 Likes

I went for an Oslo single tempur this year, the current firmest model iirc. Around a grand in sales.

Despite being mainly laid up with back and gut pain for two months after getting it, I’ve a reasonable hunch that this is mainly my crooked chassis’ idea of an acclimatization/running-in period.
It’s still the best mattress I’ve ever slept on.

But decisions don’t end with the mattress in this branch of pfaff.
I’m currently in the 24 hour wait for my octaspring topper to recover from transit before use. Being a lifelong side sleeper, I still (non-willingly) push my hip deep into the surface, and this should firm and cool it a bit.

Many thanks to my sibs for the xmas present - consumer report to follow.

2 Likes

Getting actual facts regarding the functional difference between beds is all but impossible.
There are probably very large sales margins on beds so abundance of marketing BS is marked.

Ikea do have a fair range of mattresses and less BS than is normal with high street or direct sales.

If you have room for a super king size bed do consider it.

1 Like

We’re still sleeping in the same bed we bought when we first moved in together. It’s a Hypnos zip-and-link. I’d recommend it as a style. As well as being huge (super-king) each of you gets to choose your own mattress (firmness etc). We liked it so much that when we furnished our flat in Northumberland we went down to the local bed shop, bought two 3ft singles and with some bracketry from B&Q made ourselves another one. We got a huge bed for not much money and being separable into parts it was easy to get up the tight stairs.

VB

1 Like

Your cats would love that. :+1:

1 Like

When I was single I had a Sleepezee mayfair double in medium which cost £500 in 2001.

We bought a new firm sleepezee king size off eBay with cashmere blend covering for about £600 about 8 years ago.

Both have been fantastic

I’ve just bought our 3 year old an 800 spring rest assured with wool covering for £200. It’s good but I prefer Sleepezee.

There are lots of bargains out there. The more springs the better. Natural coverings are worthwhile. You can feel the cashmere on our current one. Don’t go to Dreams etc.

I’m my experience Ikea mattresses are like Futons (uncomfortable) and nothing like a good pocket sprung divan. Avoid.

2 Likes

Are they still doing spooky sizes too? Not to be trusted :grinning:

Bloody foreigners. It’ll be better after Brexit.

Millbrook mattresses are meant to be superb, and I would like to try one at some point.

The divan/base makes a difference. We use an unsprung, slatted base. This changes the feel of the mattress. Worth considering :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Very true. We have a slotted unsprung base these days, apparently divans are uncool.

slept on a tempur memory foam mattress a few times recently and was most impressed with its comfort , that said i stick to pocket sprung with as many springs as i can afford

oh my goodness , i have just seen the price of the tempur mattresses

and to think i took it to the dump yesterday !!!

just the one…
signed
Zebedee

3 Likes

Anyone got the Emma? They have a 50 quid each offer for referrals…
considering one in the sales.

Which rated it but not clear which one they liked without the review. They do two versions (hardly any info on what the spring one offers as an advantage) and which has a warning about the new versions of them not being as good!?

I was thinking of one, so we could do an instant referral thing somehow…

One person needs an order number and an account after a purchase… and gets 50 quid at the end of the new buyers free trial if they keep.
The new buyer gets a 50 quid code emailed.

I’m waiting until the sales but if anyone else is buying please pm if you order and we can reciprocate.

Thirty percent off. I’m going for one later…

Where was the 30% off from ?