Mumsnet: Tooth puller recommendations

I had a cyst cut out of my lip last year. Horrendous procedure. Once the anaesthetic wore off, I felt like I’d been hit in the face with an iron bar. 2 Solpadeine Max and an hour and a half later, I had absolutely zero pain, and was in a tremendous mood. I had no idea how effective codeine is. Far and away the best result I’ve ever had from an over-the-counter. Paracetamol on its own doesn’t really touch stuff like that. But I was totally amazed how effective the codeine element of it was.

The thing about codeine is that it’s just dangerous if you have chronic pain. I chow down on paracetamol like sweets, and it takes the edge off. If I took codeine I’d be a real mess by now.

This. Plus, you would have exploded due to the gumming up. I cannot go near it… :hot_face:<-straining…

Yea, that was an interesting side effect, luckily I was on soup, Tinned rice and custard.

1 Like

On really long walks I need to manage the pain in my feet. I do this with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Codeine might work better, but I daren’t risk my digestive system (=fuel pump) locking up.

VB

1 Like

Yeah it’s certainly not something I’d use often. I’ve not experienced the constipating aspect of it, but I only took it for a couple of days. On a short-term minor mouth op-type pain though, very effective.

Co-codamol - effective for pain relief and also helped me sleep, I’m a really light sleeper, which made it tempting to continue. I didn’t.

I’m going the full Klopp.

2 Likes

I’ve had one yanked out (in several pieces) this morning by my nice Portuguese dentist.

Still bleeding but at least I’ve stopped dribbling. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I’ve had enough. :pleading_face:

Same old, same old

1 Like

DF118
Used a lot in heroin detoxes, probably more readily available through dealers than the NHS :grinning:

I was given that for my back. I haven’t taken a pain killer stronger than paracetamol since. Fucked me right up.

I went through several pain killers in the aftermath of the operation on my jaw. Morphine, Codeine derivatives, Tramadol etc. I hated all of them and it was scary how quickly I built a tolerance to them. I found in the end that Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together were just as effective as most and had less side effects. The opiates/opioids made me incredibly constipated and then irregular and I remember that it was months until all that felt somewhat normal.

1 Like

Morphine is bloody ace, it’s like a goodbye to the world pill, thoroughly enjoyable for the occasional use.

Full on sleeping pills also helped, but intravenous benzodiazepine should be made available outside of surgery. That stuff is the daddy :slight_smile:

1 Like

… fortunately it’s not right over on the right-hand side of this graph

so unless you’re particularly clumsy with it it’s more likely to be au revoir than adieu. I’d be interested to know where paracetamol sits. Not very addictive I think, but quite capable of taking you out.

VB

Pethadine, intravenous in hospital was my happy moment :grinning:

1 Like

To the right of mescaline, I would have thought?