New £50 note

Just the one I think.

3 Likes

Probably in some builders wallet somewhere…

2 Likes

That’s cos you’re never here - you’ve probably seen hundreds of 500 euro notes. :wink:

2 Likes

They’re worth more.

Give it a few months, the 2 Euro coin will be worth more.

2 Likes

1 Like

Given that the candidate has to be

1. Dead
  2. A scientist
  3. Presumably not currently on another banknote
  4. British

I’ll go for

Alexander Fleming

2 Likes

Turing.

2 Likes

Turning :grin:

Silly boy…:unamused:

James Clerk Maxwell

Sorted out electromagnetism, including realising that light was actually an EM wave.

Contributed hugely to statistical mechanics and thermodynamics.

Showed mathematically, when he was just 25, that the fact that Saturn’s rings were stable meant they couldn’t be either solid or liquid, so had to be made up of large numbers of small objects. This settled a 200-year-old question. His conclusion was confirmed 130 years later when the Voyager spacecraft flew by.

Published a seminal early paper on control theory.

Made the first durable colour photograph.

It’s often argued that the three greatest physical scientists there have ever been are Einstein, Newton and Maxwell. He was a Scot though. So he really belongs on their notes.

VB

3 Likes

So Turing then

1 Like

Did he overcome his demons though?

I’d suggest an amp designer but there wouldn’t be any notes left

3 Likes

Strictly speaking Maxwell didn’t call him a demon - it seems that was Kelvin (who did the calling, not who was the demon). But the breach of the second law that his behaviour seemed to lead to was subsequently resolved by pointing out that he couldn’t be separated from the rest of the system and his entropy gain would be more than the rest of the system’s loss. Phew, eh !

VB

Was he married?

Barnes Wallace, seeing as the Gammon will be invoking the spirit of the Blitz and subjecting European visitors to loud, out of tune renditions of The Dambusters March in a few months time :disappointed:

And don’t forget 633 Squadron

1 Like

1 Like

To my great regret, he will appeal to Gammon also, given he had some, erm, old fashioned, opinions on non whites, gays and gender equality.

But I really enjoyed watching him on The Sky at Night and he is one of the very few people I am minded to give a pardon to because of his generation and upbringing.