New computer .. why, what now ? What is this thread about now?

Bell-end - Silver acrylic-haired builder. Usually on holiday. Wears woolen jumpers. Usually seen on threads bemoaning stylus removal through snagging on aforementioned woolen wear.

2 Likes

Now now tradesmen, play nicely or somebody’s bucket will get abused !

Ooh! Get you love… just cos you couldn’t work your computer :roll_eyes:

Indeed. This is the view from my downstairs loo.

VB

I never knew that. I always thought the transom was the top bit of a window. You live and learn it seems.

The ‘top’ member of a window is the head.

As well as lights above doors, transoms are also horizontal dividing timbers on windows.

1 Like

And vertical ones are mullions.

1 Like

Window nazi’s.

4 Likes

Nein

2 Likes

All of the Architects I’ve worked for called them lights, not windows.

The transom is the back end of a boat, the bit that connects the two sides.

(pointless using any proper nautical terminology on here :roll_eyes:)

or architectural, it would seem

Fenestration :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s more the collective term for a number of windows (or doors, in fact)

The old school architects I worked for always called a window a light.

Ok, technically each individual panel of a window is a light, but they still used that term to describe any window… I’m going back 35 years + and they were all near retirement age then, but they knew their stuff.

1 Like

Probably a geographical thing, around here they are generally referred to as casements.

1 Like

Maybe it is regional, but a casement is only one particular type of window.

1 Like

Yes, it used to be casements or sashes, but not too many sashes fitted nowadays.

The sash windows I’ve seen that have been made recently to fit in with a particular period of a building are absolute shite. They couldn’t make real ones anymore, too expensive and not many joiners would have the skills anyway.

1 Like

transom

4 Likes

That’s windowang :clown_face:

3 Likes