New Listening Room build

Yeah :heart_eyes: with horn subs and Acapella plasma tweeters…

1 Like

You need to talk to Simon about a quote then!

Ideally you want an upper-mid channel as well, because the Acapella is only good from 5kHz up and while the 12A/555 may just about get to 5khz it’s not ideal. Might do as a start, though.

Plus some horn bass units, obvs.

2 Likes

Like so, still tight, mine are 2900mm from listening position and you’ve heard that, we have 2200mm with sofa pushed back a bit. The thing to do here might be a trial set up you know once these 12a horns I am using are replaced. I would want to hear them in room if I were Jim.

Cross the snail horns at least an octave below where most people do, they are just too directional, the power at 5k just is not there. Wente originally specified running the 555 at 10V… got too hot… derated to 7V and just moved on. I think 3 way with the Faital 10AK or similar will be instructive…but I think this was your idea from the start.

4 Likes

This will be epic.

9 Likes

Mega. :+1:

4 Likes

Just to add, I am not touting for work here, that would make me a bit of a tosser and as it stands that is debatable and I would hope to keep it that way.

5 Likes

This is a must

6 Likes

They’ll make good cat dens :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

That’s one good thing about horns - no rubber surrounds, flimsy cones or cloth facings for little claws to shred, yay! :smiley:

1 Like

I thought you had been fasting Jim?
Do you need a 2.6m sofa now? :smile:

Monty is still only a kitten tho’.

1 Like

I may (definitely am) a bit slow on the uptake, but where are the underground bass horns we were all promised???

1 Like

They were part of the garage extension project which has now been abandoned.

See opening post and try and keep up in future! :smile:

2 Likes

The room isn’t massive, but its about as big as it can be on the plot, and much bigger than the converted garage would have been.

The suggested plasterboard wall with record storage is to help remove the irregular shape of the room, but also retains non-parallel walls, and provides a bass trap, all of which are positives from my pov

I looked at firing down the room, but it is horrible, as you model shows perfectly :+1: and there wasn’t any good way to make it work well

The sketch is based on Jim’s existing speakers, which look quite diminutive in the presence of some of these suggestions :rofl:

1 Like

What would your uccello speakers look like in that room?

The sketch is based on estimated internal room dimensions of about 4.45m at the front, narrowing to 3.20m at the rear, and a room length of about 6.4m.

I would do this, if only to start with a known system in a new room

1 Like

Or London horns.

oEnEXpZOy2MmczeEMhEFOTvOo_JgS-CLGnCLUVW2gRnBDA157QXtS3hNi3vxaDghJeVce503mgUZZpmfM-o2Kmv3FKw8IWrv

7 Likes

They look a good solution.

1 Like

Should really be called Norfolk horns as they’re smaller. :rofl:

1 Like