New Listening Room build

Saw them in Munich, they were definitely paired with something else for the lower octaves but I can’t remember what.

Yes, they would need a sub. The mid-bass horns won’t go low enough.

Shows a lack of commitment!
:innocent:

nice

I would think something like those London horns, LV Tone scouts/ Air Scouts like @thebiglebowski, Volti Vittora or Simon’s Uccello, plus a sub or two would go really well in there

Vox Palladium and Basso for the busted budget win :+1:

10 Likes

This is my room. 5.7m long by 3.6m wide (3.3m at the chimney breast) and 2.5m high. From the front top of each of the mid bass horns to ear position is 2.7m at the nearest point.
I still have to set these up properly in Najda but they are running with tapped horns in the corners (from Robster d) from 20ish Hz to 90ish, mid bass horns (from Steadysteve) from 90 to 350ish, Axi2050 from 350 to 3.5k and Faital HF10ak from 3.5k up.
This is the best sound I have had and I think there is a lot more to come if I ever get my arse in gear to fully measure and fine tune.
The tapped horns being upright and shoved away into the corners really helps as far as economy of space is concerned. Whilst your room is similar in size the unorthodox shape is more challenging as far as positioning is concerned. That shape is a help, however, in reducing the number of parallel surfaces.
As Ritchie said, once restrictions are lifted get in touch and you can come and have a listen.

17 Likes

Is the ceiling flat now?

Cheers, I am not sure whether the Uccello’s would be any sort of upgrade from the Acapellas, I have heard Jim’s present speakers and they are very good indeed.

I think the bigger horn idea would give a better sound in theory but the room clearly is restricting matters, as I suggested, best set some up and see what happens, only way to know, this could be a process of elimination but worth investing some time in so you know precisely what the room can handle.

My room on paper is too small also but a few folk have heard the speakers in it and don’t believe its getting in the way of achieving a half decent sound but of course a bigger room is more desirable.

Something in the middle as Pete is suggesting might well be the best idea.

5 Likes

Moar bigger.

hmmmmm i am lucky AN took pity on me…all protected now

2020-12-12_09-40-50 by uh_simon, on Flickr

I haven’t heard @Jim 's Acapellas, but I did get to hear your Uccellos in @murrayjohnson 's room at Cranage Hall a few years ago, they were very nice indeed, they also look very very nice, which may or may not be a factor

1 Like

I don’t think 2.4m is far enough away with the Acapellas. 4m seems more like it to me.

I like the room / set up Keith. Those horns look very neat.

1 Like

What were the dimensions of your front room in Ilford?

It’s Norfuck innit. You have to piss with the (smaller than everywhere else) cock you got.

2 Likes

Cheers Simon, kind of you to say, I have sort of lost several years in developing the WE stuff, they take a while to build by hand. The amount of hours Pete and I spent on carefully back engineering them, recalculating and remaking was likely more than we had anticipated.

Here’s the back section of one I am working on, note the twists in the sides.

20 Likes

15’ (into the bay) x 13’

Acapellas were about 6’ from the sweet spot.

1 Like

You may have answered this earlier @JIm, but are you not going to set up your current rig in the new room? It might help a lot figuring out what you want/need from the new kit that your current kit (a known baseline to work from) can’t/doesn’t provide.

Lovely problem to have though. Looks like it will be lots of fun.

3 Likes

Unless someone comes up with an offer for the Acapellas I can’t refuse before the room is ready Olan, I suppose that’s likely.

1 Like

That’s looks a very promising room, certainly plenty of scope for fabulous kit and associated bankruptcy.

1 Like