No fault claim increases your premium wtf

Redid the wifes car insurance a couple of weeks back. Had made a claim for a windscreen replacement, despite no claims insurance, that increased the premium, f*ckers. Completely forgot about a claim 3 years ago where a woman hit me in a carpark while I was sat in the car then proceeded to drive off. Jumped out and stopped her and her insurance paid out.

New insurance company got in touch to say that hadn’t been declared and that’s another £50 thank you very much, what???

Sounds to me more like insurance companied defrauding drivers…

1 Like

Increases were all over the news yesterday

Yep, ours went up by around 70% last month for no reason other than because they can.

Moved insurance companies and got the increase down to 25%.

Expected an increase, is what it is in that respect.

Increasing a premium when the insured was at no fault seems different level in despicableness.

I’d never have known they’d done so without the error in declaring - just part of the increases… Guess they’re banking on that

Thats standard practice. Statically you (the driver who wasn’t at fault) are more likely to be involved in another accident.

1 Like

statistically, no more so than any other driver. In fact I’d hazard a guess that if you’ve an unblemished record and been at the mercy of another there’s less likelihood that it’ll happen to you again than another random - lies, lies and statistics

Say that to the insurance company.

and they’re going to listen, someone should be listening and regulating

Lols

3 Likes

Just a hunch but i reckon the insurance industry has done a tad more research on that.

1 Like

That’s one to ponder isn’t it

Had similar a few years ago, car got hit in the street by a truck, luckily someone got the rego and I was able to claim.

Insurance co. jacked up the premium by 50% :roll_eyes:

I managed to get it lower than the previous year by shipping around.

Cunts.

1 Like

No.

I found Carol Nash to be the worst at that, for bikes.
175% increase, no claims or change in circs.
Been with Devitt since who consistently give a reasonable balance between cost and cover.

Not defending the whole industry - it has its faults no question, but the principle is risk are pooled so the aspect of personalised risk assessment is slight. At the moment claims have gone through the roof for reasons of increased car parts costs, severity (smart cars more likely to be total write offs) and labour costs. All very well you might say, but there is no ‘greedflation’ evidence in that most car insurers are making significant underwriting losses. This compares well to banks who are slow to raise savings rates when the base rate rises and don’t get me started on supermarkets.

3 Likes

Isn’t it as simple as insurance company pays out for legitimate claim and then spends the next 3 yrs trying to claw back what it’s shelled out regardless of your previous premiums and lack of claims?

Yes through increased premiums - it’s how the insurance market works. Some like to wriggle out of claims to increase the odds, many don’t.

Its a business and needs to make profit. Nothing new really.

Sure it is a business, but it is not like the driving public have a choice about whether they have insurance so it is a captive market,
It seems that the cheapest just screw you a little bit less.
Then there is the fear that the cheapest would do everything they can to not pay/reduce a claim so even though we moan about costs we don’t go for the cheapest so tacitly accept higher prices.
Sort of shooting ourselves in the foot really.

2 Likes

The thing that always seems odd about the insurance industry is the way it doesn’t reward loyalty. A customer might take out insurance initially as a result of some kind of promotion/advertising campaign and may stay loyal to their insurer for years and their premium increases a bit each year. However, once the customer decides to shop around, the original insurer rarely if ever responds by offering a new, more competitive deal and often the customer switches and moves their business elsewhere. So, having spent money attracting the customer initially, they aren’t prepared to work to actually keep that customer. It’s an unusual business model.

3 Likes