No fault claim increases your premium wtf

I think that the law changed recently such that they have to offer existing customers the same deal that they would offer new customers. This means that there isn’t any scope for marketing-based reductions: to get a better price, you have to check elsewhere, where a different algorithm is used.

This should be true. They are not supposed to discount new customers, everyone is supposed to get the same deal.
However my company quoted me £665 this year 50% up on last year. I went online and got a best quote of £445. Guess what? Yep from my insurance company. So I rang them and explained what was happening and got insurance for £445.
Strictly speaking this should not be happening anymore.

1 Like

Are you sure it was the same product?

I have experienced this several times.

Yes same product and same cover

A friend of mine got an increased renewal quote. Did an online comparison and got a significantly cheaper quote from his own insurance company. He then rang them and asked them to match the online quote but they wouldn’t. So he renewed online. Exactly the same product with exactly the same cover and when the documents arrived, exactly the same policy number (save for a year marker).

3 Likes

Spanked for mine.
1.5 x more this year, albeit the car has changed.

Anyone know any good places to try for electric only?

Just use a comparison site. Those insurers that want to encourage EV will offer cheaper quotes.

1 Like

The longer you are with a company the more likely it is they will be the one left with no chair when the music stops so they up the price and make you move to another chair? Who’s sitting now I’m confused.

I know we are talking talking about insurance companies, but more often than not what you are talking about is brokers. What they are interested in is their margin and upsells such as credit agreements for monthly payments. The actual insurance provider is oft tucked away in the small print.

The annual auto renewell is the biggest scam out there but was intended, by parliament, to be a protection for consumers to make sure they didn’t go uninsured and didn’t accidentally break the law when it came to cars by driving without insurance. There must be millions of drivers out there who dont realise the hikein price until too late. Perhaps time for the auto renewel law to be repealed?

But the insurance companies always write to tell you that your cover expires in 30 days.

Or e mail. Loads ignore it or don’t bother checking. The insurance brokers just do a calc that balances the extra income from price hikes to customers lost. That extra hike might not go to the actual insurance underwriter, might just go to the broker. They will also get commission from the new credit agreements. One thing they are not is daft, it’s just business and profit.

I’d rather people had insurance auto renew than not.

2 Likes

I’ve just done a comparison site search for my insurance renewal, best price Tesco £260, not bad. So I think to myself, if I go to Tesco directly, cutting out the middle man it will be cheaper :joy::joy::joy: £345 :face_with_raised_eyebrow: cuntz.

Mine is due for renewal in Aug, have been with esure for the last few years and the auto renew quote went down by £30 last year.

Not expecting the same this year :cry:

Mine ends on July 28th. Last year I paid £522.91 as a lump sum. This year it looks to be impossible to insure the same car under the same terms for less than £110 more and the company that is offering that increase in cost has an extremely reassuring selection of reviews. Direct Line who I’ve been with for years wants £688.

I must be on some sort of hate list with Direct Line as their quotes are always 3-4x times the rest.

Just tried it again and quote with £400 excess is:

and esure renewal last year was

Just did a renewal quote for esure and it’s gone down by another £30 this year :slight_smile:

:skull:

And no. 10 years no claims, no points, no convictions.

Anyone experience a scenario like this before and hopefully advise on what my next steps should be?
I deal with my dads car insurance as he’s old and doesn’t do internet. Averages 2000 miles a year in his Micra taking grandkids to school a couple of days a week and a Friday trip to local morrisons. Doesn’t drive at night and anything past 29mph is too fast.

I’ve been a named driver on his policy for twenty years.
I moved him to AA car insurance a couple of weeks ago as the renewal premium with incumbent was outrageous (from £320 to £540). New premium was £294. I’ve had notification that, me, as a named driver was in an accident in 2019 so policy has gone up by £60.
I wasn’t in an accident, it was Claire who was in the minor bump, suspect whiplash scam and kicked up shit at the time to no avail, but policy was in my name.
This has never been a problem the last few years when going through other insurers. I’ve not been in an accident so I’ve never declared this, why would I?
I’ve not had an accident in 20 years (touch wood) so why are they penalising my father for an accident I wasn’t even in? More importantly can I get this decision reversed? I could come off the policy altogether but he’s 78 so suspect me coming off would increase the premium even more, it was a lot more expensive without me on it when I was dicking about with the options a couple of years ago.

Just renewed my mum’s insurance on her Kia Venga. She is 80 now and paid £290 last year. This year the quote from her insurer was £500… FFS.

We managed to get that down to £370 through a comparison site.

2 Likes