Notes from a remote island

Is punctuation digital or analogue ? Discuss.

VB

1 Like

It is optional

Seems to be on here :unamused:

I have 3 dacs all in my one CD player. Apparently.

I still dont understand that.

One per channel and a spare ?

I don’t know if the laser focus servo in a CDP is digital these days. The actuator will be analogue though.

VB

I have 8 x Burr Brown PCM-1702 in a Kenwood DP7090 from the late 90s which is in the cupboard

I have no idea why it needed 8 DACs or why such a well regarded DAC was being used in a relatively budget player.

Edit: It was £400 in 1997 so maybe not that budget

1 Like

The DAC chips are current output and the outputs are summed. Using multiple DAC chips increases linearity by averaging across several chips. DAC chips themselves are cheap as chips.

7 Likes

Since early to mid eighties anything recorded has been in and out of analogue and digital formats numerous times anyway, so nothing is strictly one or the other (as far as recordings go) unless you go Chasing the Dragon or full Toerag mode😁!

Lol, most of my records are pre 1980 :rofl:

1 Like

In fact I suspect most are pre 1970…

1 Like

Unless of course, it’s a simulation.

1 Like

You used to have a really nice thread on here Paul.
A snapshot of Island life, great pics of the dogs and views around the island, tales of 20 hour trips to go to the shops, pics of interesting bird life that turned up, a view of life from a different perspective and then you had to go and ruin it all by talking about HiFi.

The thread has gone from a cultural oasis to shit in a handcart in a week!

12 Likes

4 Likes

Yup, as soon as someone introduces hifi talk the faeces hits the spreader.
Found any new boxes Paul😁?

1 Like

Almost hourly!

Still missing a TD-124 an arm and a couple of cartridges.

1 Like

Are the dogs enjoying the new space?

Yes, they seem very happy in there. They don’t interfere with the hifi which is good!

I think they’re still getting used to it and exploring a bit, but they soon settle down and are quite at ease with loud music.

5 Likes

Good news, I did wonder as it took ages for our parson russells to get used to the music.

1 Like

A bit more progress

Getting there slowly.

28 Likes