Notes from a remote island

You need a metal washing line and a rivet gun to hang the washing out!

1 Like

Like the combination of this and the ad on the screenshot.

I came Very close to pulling the trigger with Schopper for a Stealth TD-124 MKI but swerved when I was offered an QGB 10.5 inch reel adapter
For my Nagra IV-Sā€¦I has a capricious want about it againā€¦

8 Likes

Very nice. (second pic looks like a Mk2)

Iā€™ve been very pleasantly surprised just how good a properly fettled one sounds.

1 Like

Bloody love my TD124 mk2, restored the motor myself with new sintered bearings from Schopper and fitted the Hanze motor springs and it sounds fantastic.

21 Likes

Iā€™d forgotten just how good this cartridge is - Fidelity Research FR1 mk3 - played for the first time through the equally impressive FRT 5 SUT

Some of the current cartridge manufacturers should be made to listen to it, they might learn a thing or two.

10 Likes

Really loving vinyl pictures right now. Gives me some motivation to get my shit together.

3 Likes

Do it.

Do it now!

1 Like

I am but like a :snail:.

Do it like a :rabbit2:

1 Like

Some things will require money but Iā€™m going to get some stuff sorted.

1 Like

Keep them coming!

1 Like

Looks good, rides reaaly low mind!

Donā€™t let Dave start posting on this thread!

So do the other two FR carts I have.

I donā€™t see it as a particular problem

Yupā€¦MKII but I loved the image, mind you it looks like a right dust magnet

In original factory paintwork I have a thing about the cream MKI I had which looked very well partnered with the PYE PF91 ampsā€¦nicer vintage looking speed control switch for me.

4 Likes

No, not suggesting it is a problem but I do find it remarkable to see a cart body running so close to the LP.
The room is really coming along Paul. You must be really pleased.

1 Like

Iā€™m more than happy with the room. Still work to do and that will carry on through the winter, but essentially it is functioning as I would like it.

Early days, but I have no issues with the sound either. Certainly no glaringly obvious faults regarding speaker/room interaction. Iā€™m still experimenting with speaker positions/height/toe in etc. and I feel Iā€™m close to optimal, but we shall see over the coming weeks.

10 Likes

If you stick speakers in decent space not close to side or back walls and cut out those reflections you are a long way to being there!

2 Likes

Completely agree.

Distance between them, toe in & height are all creating subtle differences but I think Iā€™m nearly there.

1 Like