Notes from a remote island

Yes, but not for a tunnel

Very few locals believe it will ever happen.

If it did (and it’s a big IF) Unst to Yell and Yell to Mainland might be feasible but they’re never going to include the much longer (and obviously much more costly) Fetlar to Yell link. Not for what is now a population of ~50 residents.

It would make little difference to me anyway, typically I only leave the island once a month, to go shopping. I suppose it would mean I could make the odd trip to Mareel (Lerwick -cinema/theatre/concert venue)

The “plan” is to include Fetlar, according to meetings I’ve attended…

1 Like

Good, though as you say very unlikely to happen. I was just going on the maps in the article.

1 Like

It’d be cheaper to give every household their own helicopter. :zany_face:

3 Likes

Apart from the fact that we get wind speeds, on a regular basis, that would require a genius of Didier Delsalle* proportions to fly them.

*no, I’d never heard of him either, until I googled “best helicopter pilot” :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to embed the gif of Charles Bronson tunnelling in The Great Escape for 20 minutes now with no joy so you’ll just have to imagine it.

1 Like

:wink:

8 Likes

Live stream fo the Up Helly Aa procession here if anyone is interested.

I’d love to go but can’t get home on the ferries and an overnight stay is out of the question because mutts.

1 Like

No dog-friendly b&bs, airbnbs or hotels in Lerwick?

Dogs plus fire festival may not be the best combination.

Hildur hates everyone (and anything that moves that isn’t me) she would cause mayhem.

Also, I suspect that Maddie, especially, would be terrified.

2 Likes

I see the problem. A remote and sparsely populated island seems to be the ideal location for Hildur. :grinning_face:

1 Like

I won’t pollute the “Art” thread with these so perhaps here is the best place.

It’s been five weeks now since I started trying to paint birds in watercolour, there’s been some disasters (the paper burns really well for setting the fire :grin:) and a few that have turned out just about acceptable.

I’ve still got a huge amount to learn about the media and watercolour technique in general but it’s very early days. I decided to give it 12 months to see if I could get to a stage where I can use them to illustrate my personal birding notes and take it from there.

Anyway, here’s a few that haven’t been total disasters (all based on my own photographs)

Constructive criticism welcomed.

Arctic Skuas

Arctic Tern

Gannet

Merlin

Red-backed Shrike

Red-necked Phalarope (male)

Unfortunately, digital photographs do them no favours, the originals are genuinely better (honest guv :wink:) maybe I’ll have to try scanning them at some point.

32 Likes

If your progress after just 5 weeks is anything to go by, I’d say you have a lot of potential for watercolour. (I am not an artist and have no real idea about this).

4 Likes

Just so - well done Paul!

1 Like

Paul, they look to me more like 5 months’ practice than 5 weeks’ - you seem to have found your medium :+1:

Chapeau!

1 Like

Well done Paul, lovely studies.

1 Like

Really flipping good Paul, wow! Watercolour is a tricky medium, so to get results like that in such a short time is seriously impressive. You should absolutely carry on with that.

1 Like

Brilliant stuff - Love the Phalarope

1 Like

Wow. They are very very good. You are very talented.

1 Like