Nürburgring touristenfahrten 2019 - An AA road trip?

No. I just made all that up.

12 Likes

:grinning:

After the third glass of that stuff I’m anyone’s.

Thanks for the info. I’m planning a relaxed bucket list box ticking type couple of days, I’m deliberately not using a track bike, that thing is just too insanely fast.
Riding the big 1000 is a physical struggle these days I just about get my head around the local Circuits which luckily I know inside out and backwards.

That said I’ll be accompanying a group of pretty experienced if a little headstrong young guns along with my son so I plan on doing my own thing really and keeping things semi sensible.

Is there some sort of collecting / paddock type area
to give your bike a quick once over prior to entering the circuit.

Good luck! It is great fun, though it got to the point that when I was on my way back, not having had any incidents, I felt overwhelming relief. I’ve been in the car a couple of times since and that was good fun.

There’s no paddock area as such, except the car park which is right next to the circuit entrance. You buy your tickets (card) and there’s a barrier controlling the entry to the track proper. You have to come in every lap and go through the barrier, you can’t just keep going round and round.

The car park gets pretty crowded, but that’s less of an issue for bikes.

I’ve seen people get a bit gung-ho and crash. It’s definitely a place not to try and go too quickly too early.

There’s all sorts of machinery going round at various speeds. The rattier stuff tends to be going quicker as they tend to be locals who know the track. It’s fast and flowing, but quite a lot is blind so knowing where it goes is the key to a fast lap, and that just takes time. I had a guy two up on a BMW tourer go round me on the outside (I was on an R1). That put me in my place! Talking to him later, he had done over 1000 laps.

I did get down to about an 8:40 (bridge to gantry) but then stopped going, best in a car was 9:30 I think, but I’ve only been a couple of times in the 911.

2 Likes

Bloody expensive if your crash in to a barrier, or have to be taken off the track.

Yes, it’s easy to get an enormous bill!

This is a great video - Helmut Dahne doing a narrated lap.

He’s sooo smooth.

3 Likes