Original Film Or The Remake

A place to post your thoughts and preference.

I’ll kick off with Cape Fear.
Whilst I still enjoy the Film Noir origional, IMHO De Nero’s performance as Max Candy in the Scorsese remake just takes it over Robert Mitchams.

3 Likes

I remember going to see the remake of this at the cinema in Chesterfield, the place was empty apart from us four and it was freezing!
Terrific film.

2 Likes

For this one Attenboroughs performance as ‘Pinky’ in the origional takes it.

I preferred the original version personally, both good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOB8T-P2bEQ

1 Like

Hmm. De Niro’s Cady, while obviously a nasty piece of work, was somehow less menacing than Mitchum’s take on the character. Both good films though & I liked the re-use of the original soundtrack in the re-make.

1 Like

Ha! I had these lined up for my next instalment.
Always loved John Wayne’s portrayal of Marshal Rooster Cogburn and the film as a whole.

However, strong performances from Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and n Hailee Steinfeld, and lifted by some of the Coens’ most finely tuned, unaffected work,True Grit 2 is a touch closer to the characters in Charles Portis book, so Remake it is for me.

1 Like

One of the great examples of the film-noir

and the (very) pale imitation

2 Likes

The Thing.
Whilst the 1951 original remains for me an enjoyable watch the grimmer and more terrifying John Carpenter’s The Thing for me is the more tense sci-fi thriller with compelling tension and some remarkable make up and special effects.

5 Likes

Kurt takes it every time.

Just don’t touch the re-remake

Absolute donkey balls.

1 Like

I go the other way and say the first film.

is very much second best to the Swedish original:

VB

5 Likes

The Swedish one.

2 Likes

I have a very soft spot for this

but I had to give up on the original when I was less than half way through (about 13 hours in, I think)

VB

3 Likes

Oh no, Tarkovsky every time!

1 Like

1978 for me. The study of urban paranoia and alienation vs the 50s Red menace message is more interesting to me and the performances are more natural.
Donald Sutherland makes great hero.

Related - I can watch the Sutherland version just for the 70s interiors and the Brutalist architecture

4 Likes

Let Me In surprised me. When I first heard 'merican remake of a Swedish film, I feared the worst. But it’s a fine film. Not as good as the original, but I do rate it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Original?

or remake?

Haven’t seen the first one but it’s going to have to be bloody spectacular to better the remake.

4 Likes

Brilliant

Utter shite

9 Likes

Great film

Shit film

5 Likes