Original Film Or The Remake

I have thought of one where I really enjoy both versions

I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the remake yet, simply because I thought the original telling of the story was so perfect. I have heard the new one is good, but somehow I just don’t want to mess with the impression the first one left me with.

1 Like

“How old are you ?”

“I’m twelve. But I’ve been twelve for a very long time …”

VB

2 Likes

Just superb!

The Clooney version of Solaris is OK, in a generic sci-fi/action sort of way. The Tarkovsky film was art.

1 Like

I might well have said that. But I’d have put the two films the other way round.

VB

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never got around to watching the original! :grimacing:

That’s something I will remedy.

Best of luck. I tried, honestly I did. But I couldn’t stay awake. To be fair, Mrs VB has exactly that problem with the Soderbergh/Clooney/McElhone/Davis/Davies version.

VB

I like the new version. Decent bit of sci-fi, I thought. Yeah I’ve just discovered how long the original version is!

Homage rather than remake, Tarantino was heavily influenced by this film when making Kill Bill, going so far as recreating camera shots and using plot elements and dialogue . . .

Interesting viewing just to get inside the great man’s mind :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One for me is the Thomas crown affair. One of few times where I think the remake is a genuine improvement on the rather plodding original.

4 Likes

Infernal Affairs or The Departed. Both brilliant.

The remake is a genuinely underrated film imho, one of the very few films I’ve ever watched more than once.

1 Like

Any plodding’s worth it for this

2 Likes