Park like a cunt (and other driving fuckwittery)

Why bother fixing a flat - just carry on driving until the rim is flat too :roll_eyes:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/27/all-new-uk-cars-to-have-speed-limiters-by-2022-under-eu-plans

“However, drivers will be able to override the device simply by pushing hard on the accelerator,”

Not sure what to make of that. I guess there’ll be some intrusive alarm to make speeding hard work. I quite like the speed limiter on my honda, great for 30 zones and roadworks on the motorway. (Using the kick down switch turns it off)

I vacillate between “all the joy is being taken out of driving” and “driving kills loads of people and pollutes the world”, but I think that the second is winning. Driving for fun is going to have to move to places like the Ring. We need one in the UK - there must be some Scottish landowner with an estate suitable…

How long before the cars upload to the police the fact that you are speeding and you get fined & 3 - 12 points.

Can’t have the revenue stream of speeding tickets reduced now can we.

1 Like

Other articles on the subject I’ve read this morning say the cars will also have data and event loggers. If you’re in an accident no doubt the police and your insurance company will have acess to the info around the time it occurred.

To be honest I don’t mind, it sounds like it will make my commute safer. Its impossible to speed in rush hour traffic anyway (unless you’re driving like a twat at the same time).

We’ll all have to keep an older car on the road if driving outside of the law appeals.

Yeah but it’s going to use GPS, there’s no way the UK govt could deliver a GPS solution by 2022 let alone 2032.

They already do to an extent - some insurance companies have ‘black box’ policies. This could easily be extended to everyone.

Yes it could, fair point.

We probably can’t really comprehend the need as we have amongst the safest roads in Europe

https://etsc.eu/euroadsafetydata/

The internet says that in 2017, approx. 1710 people died and 176,500 were injured on the UK’s roads.
Regardless of league table positions, that is still lots of lives buggered up.

While speeding won’t have been the cause in many cases, if cars are going slower then the severity of accidents will be reduced. Its easier to slow everyone down rather than cherry picking bad drivers off the road.

3 Likes

This.

One of my sister’s employees had a crash at the weekend; her boyfriend was killed. That’s his life ended and hers changed forever. I don’t know any detail behind the accident, but the fundamental point is that anything the can be done to reduce the overall crash rate and injury from crashes must be considered. We all think that we’re good enough drivers never to be involved in a serious accident, but we’re wrong.

5 Likes

It’s a can of worms, this one. The purpose of the roads is to get people and stuff from A to B a) quickly and efficiently and b) safely. As in almost everything in life there is a trade-off between a) and b).

Forcing people to drive more slowly (lowering the miles per hour) means that a given demand (vehicles per hour) can only be met if we squeeze the vehicles closer together (vehicles per mile). The resulting congestion (squeezed traffic) and driver frustration (jams and demand not met) cause accidents too. I’d bet my pension that the minimum accident rate is not achieved by forcing drivers down to minimum speed. Furthemore delaying people and stuff costs money too. The money might be better spent trying to get people out of cars altogether.

As has been said before, this whole issue might be overtaken by technology if driverless cars take over. They would very effectively take the bad drivers off the road. Without them cars could easily travel both closer together and at higher speeds than the law allows now.

VB

1 Like

We’re talking about forcing people to drive at the speed limit, not lowering the speed limit.

I suspect there are people who currently sometimes drive faster than the speed limit. The plan is to force those people to drive more slowly, no ?

In 30mph zones breaking the speed limit is (or should be IMHO) completely unacceptable. On the M6 toll it’s the norm. The M6 toll is not a continuous trail of burning pile-ups full of the dead and dying. This is because it’s well-designed and built and not too congested. Speed doesn’t seem to matter.

VB

1 Like

I don’t agree, so will leave it here.

The ‘red’ countries are the ones with shite small A and B roads and very little signage. They also have a low driving test threashold.

So many reasons for these figures, as usual the political crap heads pick the one they feel is headline making and they can build a career on. If you think this is for safety, you are deluded, try changing lane in a 50 zone in the roadworks on the M6.

I agree with you and with the posts about saving lives being critically important.

When I was driving in Sicily last week I googled road deaths and was please to see the UK was towards the top of the statistic tables for the least deaths. But, we would all like to see no deaths.

I heard on Radio 4 earlier that if a woman is in a crash she is 49% more likely to be killed as cars are designed around male sizes / shapes / test dummies. I was shocked. As women sit closer to the wheel and peddles more are killed.

Yup. Just as importantly try spotting the drivers who’ve nodded off after mile after mile after mile of trundling along at fixed speed. It’s important that you do. Because you want to be a good distance away when that comes home to roost.

VB