Paul's Diving stuff

1 Like

Hope you dont mind my crashing in Paul
Whaleshark

2 Likes

Hopefully we’ll get somewhere with a bit of wildlife this year. Prob not whalesharks but seals with a bit of luck

Nice photo :ok_hand:

1 Like

Managed a few Indian Ocean encounters over the years, mostly snorkelling.

3 Likes

Well no Whale sharks, manta rays or anything that exotic but the Sturgeon were being friendly today

Descending down the line to the plane we could see them circling - if you didn’t know they were sturgeon it could have been a bit worrying

1 Like

2 Likes

Had a ‘fuzzy’ and chilly dive at our local site in Eccleston - The Delph. Very silty but saw plenty of fish including some big shoals of 20 or so fish, plus 4 sturgeon, some big perch and a couple of fat Koi

That’s a 4000 lumen torch

I think the russians may have invaded…

5 Likes

That’s an old saracen fighting vehicle, ironically we sold a shit load of their replacements to Ukraine after Russia took Crimea.

1 Like

Serious sturgeon

5 Likes

Do they feed it small children?

Are there sturgeon lurking in every site you dive?
Are they Russian spies?
I think we should be told

1 Like

Sturgeon

1 Like

She’s a bit small

Couple of nice dives back at the usual site today. Saw a wee albino sturgeon (not the grumpy one further up) and a huge, sleeping diamond back. Photos of them later

A video of me failing to gracefully go through one of the boats…

I also tried a change of kit. Usually I use a BCD like this - it inflates up the back but also around the sides:

bcd-military-commercial-the-commando-today-apdiving11

Mine is (of course) black cos its ex military :sunglasses:

but today I tried a Backplate and Wing where the inflation bit is all at the back. It makes a big difference in terms of how you lie in the water and how much more freedom of movement your arms have

it may prove to be an expensive ‘play’

4 Likes

Wifey’s camera is behaving again…

Big lad came to say hello up close and personal :sunglasses:

9 Likes

That second pic looks like a very big alligator. Stay safe.

1 Like

Love it :+1:

1 Like

3 of us went to Capernwray today.
We saw most of the bigger Sturgeon who are getting much more inquisitive, but we also saw this shy little fella

Plus a few of the usual (and not so usual) attractions

And a video into the deepest part of the quarry at just over 20m

4 Likes

One eventful, and one relaxing dive yesterday. Sarah has been trying to reduce the weight she takes (more weight needs more air to counterbalance, which then needs dumping on ascent and replacing on descent, so less weight is good).

Yesterday on dive 1 she didnt use her weight belt as we thought she’d transferred it all to her BCD. She hadn’t and unbeknownst to us was 2Kg light. I gave her 0.5Kg of mine which got her through her initial descent but mid dive she spotted a Sturgeon and, as is often the way, forgot to breath and promptly ascended. It was from 6m so not dangerous but she was wound up and now couldn’t descend, so we had a long surface swim…

As we were de-kitting she twigged what had happened so we put the right weight in and on dive 2 all was well.

i think she was still a bit grumpy though :slight_smile:

Visibility was quite challenging in places

Quite foggy on the bottom at times too

New RAF helicopter crew equipment is a bit OTT :slight_smile:

Some really noticeable thermoclines yesterday, shallow water was 20 degrees, down to 15/16 in the deeper bits, and some weird , bright green, plant

3 Likes