Philips OLED TV woes

:thinking:

6 Likes

Where have I heard that before? :smirk:

The whole point of them sending an engineer is because you canā€™t return them yourself. Itā€™s their problem. They will fix it, or take it away and being it back fixed, or just send you a new one.

Tbh Iā€™d imagine that it would be less than a 50:50 chance that it would get from you to a repair centre and back without being dropped, and they probably factor that into their decisions about what to do.

4 Likes

Do all OLED TVs need these regular refreshes?

I bought one just over a year ago and have received no instructions to do this
Maybe it self diagnoses and tells you to do it if needed?

EDIT I bought a LG not Phillips, not sure if it varies from brand to brand

1 Like

The LG OLED I had before didnā€™t but I think you can do screen refreshes on all of them.

Itā€™s a PITA as the Philips demands a screen refresh every few days.

1 Like

I think the richer sounds guy will come with a box. I asked them about keeping mine when we bought it cos itā€™s too big to get into the loft and they said not to bother

1 Like

" How often does LG OLED refresh pixels?

LG also has a Daily Pixel Refresher , which it says ā€œautomatically operates when users turn off the TV after watching it for more than four hours in total.ā€

Yeah, but the frequent ones are done automatically, providing you leave the TV in standby overnight.
The longer deep clean is actually called ā€œretained image removalā€ in the menu and has to be done manually (takes 80 minutes)
It didnā€™t remove the vertical stripe though, so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s not a retained image issue.

I still have the boxā€¦in the garage :rofl:

I leave it in standby overnight but it still pops up when Iā€™m in the middle of watching something, just says ā€œscreen refresh will start in 30 secs and take approx 10 mins unless you click cancelā€ that then leads to a panicked scramble to find the fucking remote.

3 Likes

bugger, does sound like a screwed display then. Hopefully theyā€™ll just replace it rather than mess around trying to get it back for repair etc.

Richer Soundā€™s engineer arrived on Tuesday, took one look at the problem and said that he wouldnā€™t be able to repair it at our place because it would likely need the panel to be replaced, so he took it away.
Received a call from Richer this morning saying the tv could not be repaired so they would issue a voucher for Ā£1760 which we could spend on any tv from a Richer shop or on-line. He said the amount was calculated from the initial cost of the set, depreciation, wear and tear, etc.
I pointed out that the set cost Ā£2150 (albeit 18 months back) and we had not planned on spending any further money for maybe 5/6 years and that Ā£1760 would not buy a like for like current 65" OLED.
He asked me if I would be happy with the current Philips 65" OLED which they sell for Ā£1899. I said yes, that would be ok.
So a brand new 65OLED856 will be delivered to us tomorrow. :grinning:

21 Likes

Another good Richer Sounds experience :+1:

4 Likes

What is the 0-60 time on the new set?

5 Likes

It has a few upgrades from the previous '20 model - later processor, hdmi 2.1 inputs and Ambilite on all 4 edges (old set only had it on top and sides) :+1:

Result. Comes with a fresh 6 year warranty I assume?

1 Like

Yes, new 6 year warranty starting tomorrow :+1:

4 Likes

This is why you would have to be mad to buy a TV anywhere other than Richer Sounds. Theyā€™re fucking brilliant. The last thing you need is a pain in the arse with the TV at the moment anyway so this is great news.

7 Likes

git

1 Like