Philips OLED TV woes

I’ve got the 55" version.

You can turn off the bottom ambilight strip which really helps if it is wall mounted, from my seating position the ambilight LEDs were in direct view and really bright.

Also has eARC which is a big win for the Sonos ARC.

1 Like

Result.
I too have the 55" Philips 856. Has noticebly better image quality than the 65" 934 in the living room.
You’ll love it.

2 Likes

Yeah this. I bought my last TV from them, after the previous one developed a fault after about 18 months, and neither the retailer nor Samsung gave a flying fuck.

2 Likes

In my experience, Richer Sounds are the dogs danglys when it comes to customer service. They just are.

1 Like

I’m turning into an old twat as I prefer John Lewis for their customer service and support.

When my old Samsung went tits they didn’t even fuck about, they sent a bloke round with a new one who swapped them over.

1 Like

Maybe the answer is not to buy Samsung or Phillips :grinning:

Nope, all shit you just have to choose the smell you can live with.

We’ve always bought Samsung TVs via Richer Sounds while living in the UK. One TV was faulty, Richer sounds replaced it without quibble. They also insisted we took the repaired TV so we gave that to our former neighbours whose TV was absolutely ancient/knackered. They still have it working 9 years later. Fucking brilliant service.

5 Likes

I don’t think I criticised Richer?
I bought my current TV from them
Good to know they support unreliable manufacturers!

I dunno really. I guess if you sell loads of TVs a few will be iffy just through the law of large numbers. That is a decent reason to use Richer Sounds whose 6 year guarantee is actually worth something unlike your bog standard box shifters who are typically unhelpful when you are stuck (e.g. Currys).

2 Likes

Don’t worry, the HDMI ARC on my LG B7 shit the bed a while back. Regrettably, as I bought it direct from LG, it ain’t going to be fixed either.

I don’t think that you can call Philips and Samsung unreliable. They are two of the largest manufacturers; if you didn’t sell them you’d halve your sales or worse.

It’s not like hi-fi where you can choose whether or not to stock flame boxes, you have to offer all the big names.

I’m guessing Kev finally joined the 20th century and bought an LG hence the smuggy smugness over Samsung & Phillips.

I’ve taken a screenshot for ultimate trolling when his LG goes tits like all other TVs in the future :slight_smile:

Most OLED TVs, regardless of make, have LG panels anyway…

2 Likes

When Philips actually made their own TVs, they had the longevity of an exotic element. They were a brand I absolutely, 100% wouldn’t have gone anywhere near. The arrangement they have now where clever men and women in Eindhoven do the design and then actual adults go and make it is far superior.

Baesed solely on the evidence of this thread I think you can!

My Philips had a panel manufactured by LG and the failure was in the panel…

You have an LG, don’t you Kev?

1 Like

Yep that’s the sample you should base absolute judgements on :rofl:

3 Likes

If that was the case my two previous Mazdas would both have disintegrated into massive fire balls !

Replacement set turned up at 8pm - at least we’ll have TV for the weekend! Yay! :grinning:

16 Likes