Phobic

That’s not technically a phobia, I think. For it to be a phobia it has to be extreme (it doesn’t sound like it is) or irrational. There’s nothing irrational about disliking a situation where there is a very real risk of serious injury or death. It would be like saying you were phobic about travelling in cars driven by drunks or about arguing with muggers.

I used to get the sweats/shakes with heights in situations where the risk of injury/death was negligible e.g. close to windows at the tops of skyscrapers. It seems to have gone away to a large extent though. When I was young I climbed up here a lot (the view starts at 4:10 or so). The balcony’s narrow and the guard rail not so high.

VB

Brother in law is frightened of buttons :laughing:

2 Likes

My mum and her sister both had that. Actually it was even more specific - they were really scared of feathers.

VB

Stop taking him to see Cinderella then.

5 Likes

Not exactly hights, but a fear of falling.

Creatures with loads of legs

And slimy ones with no legs
Love spiders though

Rincewind the wizard in the Pratchett books always sat in the middle of the flying carpet hanging on tight.
Someone said to him, “Are you afraid of heights” “Oh no” he said “I am not scared of heights but I am scared of drops”

2 Likes

High level toilet cistern and high up water tanks.
No idea why but they freak me the fuck out.

1 Like

I’ve got a mate who’s the same. Definitely an odd one, that.

I know someone who freaks out looking at this image and similar. Tripophobia apparently.

1226161935_c21e6a3fc1

Haha! Kerri is exactly the same, has nightmares about them. She wouldn’t go to the toilet at my mum’s because of it. :flushed:

No clown aversions ?

I guess not, otherwise you wouldn’t be posting here :slight_smile:

Campsite we stay3d on in France had them, waited till we went to a bar before offloading.

1 Like

I worked with someone who was afraid of bananas.

1 Like

My mother is, in large quantities. They also give me the heeby jeebies lol

Oh and people.

2 Likes

High places phenomenon HPP - the fear that I will throw myself into the abyss :flushed:

This. My Mum was a dentist. Feckin’ terrified of dentists.

Oh, and Barley, our 10yr old farm collie is scared of sheep!

Useful