Pizza faff with hypocrisy topping

I use to make my own but, faff. I now use this instead.

3 Likes

Time to get sorted. I made dough last night used the magimix so Iā€™m not sure I did enough by hand afterwards.
1000 flour, 600 water, 30 salt and a guess at 0.2 dry yeast.

2 Likes

Total abortion

The dough sprang back to 10p size whatever we did. The mozzarella was crap. I forgot to buy tomatos so we had pasata.

Tasted thick, sour, salty and tasteless.

And the pies just collapsed in on themselves hence the black hole on the stone).

I did make the dough at midnight last night though.

Next timeā€¦

1 Like

Get the first one out the way and then you learn the faff from there.

Look very edible to me. My first go stuck to the stone and disintegrated whilst burning.

My first attempt was a total disaster. After a few more so so attempts I can now knock out half decent pizzas with zero stress. A few things I changed:

I changed from a metal launch paddle to a wooden one at someoneā€™s suggestion. I put a bit of flour and semolina on the paddle and the raw dough is nice and slidey. No risk of an impromptu calzone now.

I canā€™t be arsed to make my own dough so I use the frozen Ooni sourdough. I also canā€™t be arsed to make my own sauce so I buy the tinned Mutti ones. I love pizza but Iā€™m not prepared to devote the time to it. I think Iā€™ve reached a nice compromise.

Youā€™ll get there.

2 Likes

Just out before it went dark

7 Likes

From watching a video I have rushed the dough.
Far too springy resulting in bubbles and uncooked areas.
The sauce was just vile.

I knew it wasnā€™t going to be plain sailing, but it was a mare. Iā€™ll probably buy some frozen next time so I have a benchmark to aim for.

1 Like

:smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

The answer is in the dough prep, which comes with practice. Iā€™ve never needed the pin at home.

We had to use a pin yesterday just to have anything bigger than a saucer.
Iā€™ve just made another kilo of flour batch and tomorrow we ride again.
I hope that a longer rest of six hours or so when balled in the morning will make it less springy.
Small matter of decarbonising the stone now.

I had the same issue in the early days. The solution was in the kneading. I took the kneading from the recommended 5-10 mins to 20 mins. That sorted it, I now have soft pliable balls that stretch forever!! 6 hour rest is good too. 20 mins by hand equates to 8 mins by machine, oooeerr!

1 Like

Kneeding at what stage?
Our magimix blitzes the initial dough. Itā€™s now balled to rest overnight.

I intend to just fold a few times and ball in the morning. Itā€™s already expanded to fill the casserole pan. I could have a bash kneeling more when I ball it?

The initial knead from the ingredients is 20 min, then let rise for an hour or so. Then cut into balls and let rest for 6 hours. I found any secondary kneading turned the dough into rubber.

Cheers.
Iā€™ve done less yeast and the overnight option. Not tried the more yeast and eat on the day yet.

I moved away from the more yeast eat today thing. I use 0.5 g of yeast in 500g of flour

1 Like

The only foolproof recipe is @loo s that he posted ages ago .

2 Likes

I canā€™t find any of the original recipes on here. Even by searching.

I like how John refers to it as posted by @loo , and vice versa :rofl:

2 Likes

Another attempt at dough. Same problem.
Followed the guidance to a T and the resulting dough ball was a huge puffed up holed cheese type thing.
It spread to the size of the peel but ended up half the size when slid in.

Buying dough from now on, until I can work it out.

In other news, the Mutti Classico sauce was :drooling_face:
Topping one, base nil (base was edible this time, so a big step up, but still too elastic).
All tasted sumptuous, so I canā€™t wait to nail the crust.