Plymouth Cineworld IMAX

Plymouth Cineworld IMAX opens October 22nd! Excited is an understatement…

Looking forward to a drink in the Skybar, as well.

1 Like

Never been to an IMAX so I’ll use it at least once.
I get discount for cineworld through work , if you want cheaper tickets Nick.

1 Like

Oh wow, good to know, thanks!

1 Like

IMAX is definitive. Totally other level from regular cinema.

1 Like

I have a Cineworld unlimited pass that I get through work at about £12 per month I think. But you have to pay an extra fiver or so to use IMAX, which mildly annoys me each time!

1 Like

Still seems to expensive with the discount.

Yeah I just read that and it annoys me too. I’ll mainly want to go to the IMAX screen. Why do they always bollocks-up stuff like that?

Will the usher sell shrooms during the intermission?

Well it is Plymouth, so wouldn’t be so surprising.

2 Likes

Probably in quantities sufficient for fifteen people at hugely inflated prices!

Plans for the ‘Everyman’ Cinema in the William yard look interesting, I like sofas and food.
The Liverpool one looks quite nice (I’ve not been, so it may actually be abysmal.)

1 Like

Oh wow cool, didn’t know about that. I love it down there.

1 Like

Compared with Plymouth Vue, where all regular seats are a fiver, and about 7 quid for VIP, yes it’s expensive. On the other hand when I went to see Avengers Endgame in Exeter Vue, it came to about £17 for a VIP seat (remember that’s just regular showing, not IMAX), and that’s more like average pricing in the UK. Certainly a regular showing at the Vue (not the Plymouth one, which is unique in its fiver deal), non-VIP seat, will still come in around £12-14. Nuts, I know. So yeah those prices aren’t what you’d call cheap, but they’re not bad compared to what you can pay, for lower quality.

No, the Liverpool one is really excellent. We go there all the time. The tickets are reasonably priced, it is miles nicer than any of the competition, the food and drinks prices are not insane. It really is full of win.

2 Likes

Excellent, I was hoping someone would have been to one.

1 Like

The new Plymouth Imax has what might be described as shit challenging architecture, basically a big Lego block of barcode with dayglo yellow features.

It looks right at home opposite another of Plymouth’s monstrosities. I welcome the amenity but I wish they could replace the person who gives these planning applications the nod with someone who doesn’t need a white stick & a guide dog.

1 Like

I actually quite like Drakes circus.
The Phoenix :smile: rising up from the ashes of old Plymouth.

It’s killed the rest of the city centre mind.

1 Like

I think that view of it, the juxtaposition with the church, is pretty cool actually. I don’t mind anything about Plymouth really… it is what it is. I have a soft-spot for the place. Architecturally the “barcode” is a bit of a wasted opportunity though, I agree.

Mind you, thinking about it, a new multiplex cinema, of necessity, has an enormous amount of space to contain, and they were limited by the site as well, so possibly a large box was just kind of what the job required.

The original Drake Cinema looked pretty decent and had a massive screen according to this old photo. Of course suspect like most Cinema’s it wasn’t looked after very well.

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/drake_cinema_last_show/drake74.jpg

1 Like

Not really fussed about IMAX to be honest. I prefer the smaller cinema near me actually.