Radar detectors -anyone using?

Just got my second speeding ticket in 6 months so I thought it might be an idea to get a detector. A quick read around suggests they all have pros and cons but that you largely get what you pay for and the more expensive ones are more reliable.

Just seeing if anyone uses them on here, good bad experiences and any recommendations?

Worth asking, were you caught by a fixed placement camera or a van? The former are accurately plotted in Google maps and this makes them easy to avoid.

1 Like

I’ve no experience of using them but they’re probably not infallible and worse, give you a false sense of security.

Aren’t they illegal?

I use waze - it warns of impending fixed and temp mobile cameras. (Temp mobile cameras are reported by fellow waze users and uploaded to the system very quickly)

3 Likes

I use the Radarbot app, similar to Waze.

2 Likes

Not in the UK.

2 Likes

I know it’s a crazy idea but how about sticking to the speed limit? :thinking:

18 Likes

I recently got nabbed twice in two days. Same stretch of road, at about the same time in the morning.
I was on my way to work in the early hours, I know the cameras are there, and just fucked up.
Nobody to blame but myself.

2 Likes

Ouch!

Whatevs. I really can’t sweat over it. I fucked up. Pure and simple.

1 Like

Fixed in a city I don’t visit often - had no idea there was a camera or that I got flashed, (37 in a 30) they’re not flagged on my BMW gps but I could go Waze I guess.

Radar detectors are long forbidden in NL/D, used to have one at the turn of the century.
Nerve wracking every moment I passed a petrol station as it always started beeping like crazy.
Hope for you the new gen detectors are better.

Nowadays most use apps for that, Flitsmeister being the most popular here, as it is initially a Dutch app.
It works in numerous countries, including in Germany, although that is also legally forbidden by German law. UK is listed as well, see here:

The site is not fully translated, FYI flitser/flitspaal or anything with flits is related to speed cameras.

I notice for UK only fixed cameras are covered, in NL/D we have the mobile cameras covered too.

Edit: checked Waze, as it has more users and includes mobile speed cameras, I guess this will be a better option for the UK.
For NL I suggest to use FM, as 100% of all motorists slow down at the right places.

2 Likes

I remember being in a room full of pissed off people at a course that had all been done by the same temp camera van.
Old Shoreham Road is a 4 lane road for a few miles, It changes from 30 to 40 about 4 times.
Sometimes it is a 4 lane road (you could roll a ball across all 4 lanes) and sometimes there is a central barrier.
Of course it is signed but when you are driving along it is not clear at all. Until you have had a ticket on it then you really pay attention.

It is a bloody cash machine

3 Likes

Thanks Mum :relieved:

Yes it does seem like DSP for driving - perfectly set up its amazing, otherwise… think I’ll rely on Waze and my animal instincts.

As I said, it’s a crazy idea.

1 Like

Most of the tickets I give out for people driving too fast/like an idiot are when I’m in the unmarked car and not using any radar/devices.

:eyes:

9 Likes

37 in a 30 (prob 40 indicated), try going at 30. What’s the point of a radar detector in a built up area, to allow you to speed until you detect a camera?

6 Likes

We are just back from a family weekend away in North Wales, 20mph through towns and villages, 30mph on the approach to built up areas and a variance of 40/50mph on open roads with the occasional white disc and black stripe sign.
Incredibly difficult to drive at 20mph as its so pedestrian, and felt as if walking would have been quicker. However, confusion reigned many times, the speedometer stated eg 20mph, the sat nav came in at 18mph and illuminated roadside speed signs told me I was travelling at 23mph. A huge variation of 25% of the max speed allowed, who or what am I to believe and what if any could be my defence if prosecuted. Pot luck at best, the speed limit is not a target and I try to drive within it but given the variance of these gizmos, what speed was I driving at and how many times did I unwittingly commit an offence.

Illuminated radar speed signs in villages are set high (at least in Norfolk), I assume to make you slow down even more. Most villages around here have them.

We also see plenty of community speed groups with hand held radar guns in built up areas. But not sure if these have any powers to stop or fine folks (as we’ve never been stopped/clocked) We also get quite a few lone cops with radar guns in villages around here.