Record Store Day 2019 for those who can be bothered

Close, Cousin Bastos.

Iā€™m happy to hand over the cash actually. I fecked if Iā€™m going to queue up all night for the pleasure though. I shall saunter in on Monday and see what is there. I expect to be very lucky.

Have Probe got your list then Ɠlan?

1 Like

What list would that be then Rob??? :innocent::innocent:

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to hand over the cash too, but it just gets more and more expensive.

Queues on tv being shown. Cardiff has it round the block.
I donā€™t get it. Unless you are an obsessive completistā€¦

Ahhh. Maybe I do get it!

So someone enlighten meā€¦ apologies if Iā€™m being stupidā€¦ ā€œRecord Store Dayā€, is a day when you can go into record stores, and buy recordsā€¦ like you can every other day, except this one has a name? Is there more to it than that?

Yes. You can stand for hours in a queue on RSD. :+1:

2 Likes

Right, ok! Fair play.

One thing I know from behind the scenes, is that itā€™s made things difficult for a lot of small labels, ironically, because of the limited capacity of pressing plants now. They become massively booked up well in advance, because of this particular day, so it can be hard to get your release pressed, in the months running up to it. People have to plan their release schedules around it, and a lot of the time itā€™s first come first served.

You can also get to pay well over the odds for a load of vinyl you didnā€™t need but bought anyway after your brain froze solid in the queue.

1 Like

Bought some hot x buns just baked
Popped into local empty book shop and got 13th floor elavators

3 Likes

The fuck?! So are those issues specific to this particular day? Hence the mark-up?

Yep.

Right, so realistically, the queues are probably mainly people who will buy and re-sell like that. What a weird fucking business. Every end of it seems weird to meā€¦ especially the idea that someone would spend more on an album specifically pressed for Record Store Day. A record is a fucking record, surely?! I couldnā€™t give a fuck when or why one is pressed, just so long as the right music is extracted from it when I play it.

I reckon shit like this is a sign of the End Times! People are so desperate for things to invest their emotional energy in, theyā€™ll give their fanatical allegiance to anything. A license to print money, for anyone with the nouse to cash in on that need.

1 Like

Those prices will collapse when the excess stock goes online. The problem I have with RSD is that those of use who spend 364 days of the year buying vinyl have to avoid the feckinā€™ record shop for fear of being squashed by the scalpers and day trippers.

The shop owners are NOT 100% thrilled with it either. OK they have a big day, but the stock for RSD must be paid for upfront and canā€™t be returned so this can be a real issue for shops with iffy cash flow. More to the point though, under the ā€˜rulesā€™ of RSD the shops are expected to put themselves in hock while pissing off their regular customers. Most sensible shops are not willing to piss off the customer who regularly spends Ā£50+ a week so they have to operate a second system for placating the regulars.

Both my local shops are fairly down on RSD in general and were dreading today as a load of stress and hassle. Needs must when the devil drives though.

Right yeah thatā€™s the kind of perspective Iā€™ve picked up on it. Christ.
I can remember asking someone in a record shop about it, a while back, and seeing their face instantly drop.

Fixt. Some of us are committed, Ɠlan (or perhaps should be committedā€¦) :wink:

2 Likes