Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

Yes, it was odd that the metal spigots on the Revox were too large to take the Ampex reel. No such problems on the finer plastic spigots on the Teac.

Quality work :+1:. You should be fine as long as you don’t step off the carpet or switch the thing on in damp weather.

VB

3 Likes

R2R - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hissss, plus some danger of death :skull:

1 Like

This is what is needed.

Yes. Matt visited his darkened cable cave & found all manner of other connectors from Bulgin & elsewhere but not one of those. I had to steal the receptacles from another plug just to get something that would allow us to check the Revox wouldn’t explode on start-up. No tapes were shredded either. Disappointing.

1 Like

Poor show :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Wayne, have you ever heard a GX-265D? Or even this one?

I’m thinking of getting a deck that does 3 3/4 ips, because when I look at pre-recorded tapes, everything that I like (or might possibly consider trying to like) that is 7 1/2 is just stupid money.

I’ve heard mixed reviews of the glass headed Akais, from brilliant SQ to beyond awful. I’d hope Kims would be at the former end of that spectrum as it’s been recently serviced.

4 Likes

I think Kim’s on PFM is a sound unit and available for a pretty good prices - I sense desperation to move things on!

I don’t think you can lose at that price.

1 Like

I’ve never really had much to do with open reel tape, apart from dabbling with a few old, mono Ferrographs, but I spent last Sunday afternoon in the company of a fellow reviewer, listening to his fully restored Studer A810.

Bugger me, it was bloody spectacular. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Yeah with the right tape its really impressive and hard to beat.

What kind of stuff were you listening to?

Bit of jazz, bit of Beatles, bit of Floyd and lots of ex-BBC incidental and test card music!

2 Likes

3 x R2R with foo attached.

I had to laugh, after all this shit and he puts on some crap trad jazz that would sound OK on a portable radio, what a plonker.

Fucking hate that av showrooms twat, a galactic arse kisser.

Switched off the moment he started bleating on about the shun mook shite.

1 Like

Come on, you want some mpingo wood on your tape deck

It’s got teak side panels, does that count?

3 Likes

Few nagra’s

2 Likes

8 Likes

Prog rock tape?

3 Likes

Just the intro…

6 Likes