Reel 2 Reel - bottomless pit of faff, expense and hisssssssss

The HD tracks are digital recordings, I think - do they have any tape transfers?

Classical is usually very well recorded nowadays, but is it always exemplary? I’m not sure.

The HDTracks versions of James Brown, Aretha, Donna Summer & Bowie albums I’ve downloaded must be derived from HiRes transcriptions of analogue source tapes I’d have hoped. They’re ok. Certainly tolerable if your only alternative is a knackered old LP but the Aretha Gold original tape I have (only 3 3/4) is much better sounding than their HiRes download.

I could do with some more material now mine is up and running, will have to get in sync with you guys so we don’t bid ourselves up!

Out of interest do the pre-recorded tapes suffer the same sticky tape issues some studio tape suffers.

Don’t have a R2R but suspect might scratch the itch in 2019 hence the question.

Yes, sticky mess, snap … time to clean the heads again, is all part of the rich ritual and panoply of R2R faff

Ah, I assume they are only fit for the bin if they go sticky.

I have bought 40 or 50 now & haven’t yet had any issues with stickiness.

Thats encouraging although I am not sure this faff, expense etc needs encouragement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I spent an hour or so grabbing some of the free samples. Just having a listen now. Bloody good so far.

1 Like

Sticky messes are where I’m at mainly these days.

2 Likes

As Guy suggested at Lopwell, a number of us should go for a group buy on some nos Maxell tape, and then run copies of what we’ve got between us.

And yeah, co-ordinate on uk eBay auctions etc to prevent bidding each other up.

I might be in for that, my only problem is I can only run 7.5 or 15 ips.

4 track?

Sounds good to me, only issue I have is no no way to copy but I can shop my tapes to one of you guys if that’s ok?

Sort of, it’s a studio deck, so you can configure it to some extent.

I’ve got two decks so sorted :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Might be of interest to anyone with sticky tapes.

http://audio-restoration.com/baking.php

Don’t blame me if it goes wrong. :grinning:

2 Likes

Another method is to use a food dehydrator, you can get one that takes several 10" tapes for about £30 or so.

I’d trust one of those more than a domestic oven…

Seems a far safer process, like I said, wouldn’t take responsibility for baking a cake.

Armed with a new A77. Guy came to help / witness the fireworks…

The power connector offered up a little challenge. Fortunately Guy was not phased in the slightest fashioning an excellently deathy solution

Results:

• This one isn’t dead
  • Aretha Franklyn has a small hole

Conclusion

A whirlpool of faff - Most enjoyable - Now want something much more complicated.

1 Like