Reliability

Amazing that top ten are all above 95%

Arenā€™t Alfas just Fiats in a sporty body?

Suzuki at the top of the list :thinking: must have improved then.

Bought a new Suzuki Swift in 2006 and ran it for 11years and 102k miles (Annā€™s car)

Despite on the dot servicing, in that time it ate 4 batteries, two alternators, two sets of engine mounts, 2 central locking systems and l lost count of the suspension bushings. :slightly_frowning_face:

I think Suzuki have improved a lot. My 2001 Jimny had a few problems, all well-known issues. My 2011 one has been faultless since I bought it three years ago, and the history file shows only routine servicing from new.

1 Like

I thought these rankings also used the cost of repair to weight the results, i.e there may only be one fault per per porker but if it cost Ā£5k to fix it gets a worse result than a car that needs 5 x Ā£500 fixes.

Oh yeah and get to fuck with Mazda being 11th, theyā€™re fucking shite.

1 Like

As @MGOwner knows, the repairs can be a little deer.

4 Likes

But worth it as he fawns over that car.

3 Likes

You lot can Fuck Off !!

cost of most repairs on a kia is Ā£0 as their warranty and dealers are rather good which probably skews the results.
Weā€™ve had a ceeā€™d for 7 years and in that time weā€™ve hadā€¦
CEL due to a steering / rack issue - fixed under warranty for Ā£0
DRL flickering - whole headlamp unit replaced under warranty for Ā£0
A couple of sensors gone pop - replaced under warranty for Ā£0

the most weā€™ve spent on itā€™s yearly service / mot was about Ā£300 when we needed new tyres and brakes.

So I can believe 4th place for kia, we are considering another once weā€™ve moved.

A survey of the reliability of 3 - 6 year old cars would be much more useful to me

Other than the faff of having to take the car in for a service / check, what difference does it really make what goes wrong during the warranty period?

Itā€™s only when itā€™s youā€™re mess to pay for that it gets ouchy, shirley ?

Doesnā€™t the Honest John website cover these?

IIRC HJ measures satisfaction, which is a bit useless, as I know full well that a 65 old Honda owner is gonna be over the moon that his car has not exploded, compared to an Audi-owning cockwomble being all salty cos the lane assist function doesnā€™t make poor people automatucally move out of his way

All Iā€™d really like to know is: number of faults / average cost of repair / satisfaction with main dealer network. A free login to Tushy would also be welcome. Cos you KNOW that HJ has one

Honest John reliability top ten

1. Toyota Prius
  2. Dacia Sandero
  3. Lexus IS
  4. Toyota Avensis
  5. Hyundai Ioniq
  6. Lexus CT 200H
  7. Nissan Leaf
  8. Toyota Yaris
  9. Skoda Superb Estate
  10. Skoda Octavia Estate

Also the most boring list and may also reflect the people who respond to Honest John surveys (elderly Telegraph readers).

Indeed, and this is misleading. The book cost of the repair should be required, not whether it was actually paid for or not, IMHO.

I am not sure that it should.
The extended warranty on parts and labour help make the buying decision, so perhaps the costs should be the purchase price + maintenance and repairs to see what a car actually costs.

your

Weā€™ve had a Kia Sportage for 13 years (bought ex demo) and other than routine servicing and consumables - brakes and tyres - itā€™s never needed anything doing to it. Itā€™s also passed the MOT every year without requiring any work (33k miles covered)

Sample sizes of one are not very enlightening.

It can be inconvenient - my colleagueā€™s Mazda 6 was off the road for 12 weeks when the engine blew up. Mazda couldnā€™t make 2.2 turbo-diesels fast enough to keep up with the failure rate.