Rent A Faff - Pt 1 fund raiser

No problem as long as everyone is aware of the ‘deal’ as noted above.

You’d be most welcome Kev.

Likely a couple of months yet

1 Like

Just thought I’d mention that the review linked in the OP mentions not to run them for more than 10 minutes at a time to avoid overheating.

Of course everyone hear reads reviews and instructions! :laughing:

It does indeed, unusually I read before use - Once the contraptions are mounted flush and measured centrally the actual laser observation part took probably less than two minutes.

Think it’s a waste of time for me. But still like a go when everyone else is done

Please put me on the list. I’d like a go at that.

I’d like to be able to give it a go, but it would be a faff too far, as the tops of my speakers are only 23mm deep and the lasers wouldn’t balance on them.

Could you not get a off cut off of mdf or ply ?

Yeah, but no, but, faff a-go-go reasons

1 Like

Would have thought they would sit on there no problem. (The boxes are probably not 23mm deep - The photo above is somewhat misleading as it is not a suitcase size, the case is probably less than 30cm)

Master of faff Matt :wink: has lent the Kralk lasers to me so just thought I would try to give an idea of what they are like

My house is an old Peak District cottage and the rooms are all quite narrow with low roofs and I listen nearfield with the speakers firing across the room.

I didn’t have anything wrong per se (or so I thought) but was interested to know how close I was.

What did I find out:

• · I may not have enough toe in (thought my dual concentric/wide baffle type speakers don’t need so much of this IMO and I didn’t have a gap in the imaging)
  • · The first reflections on the side walls weren’t where I thought they were at all

However, faffing with the speaker angles something looked a little off, so I re-measured and found that my layout also wasn’t quite symmetrical….

My room doesn’t have parallel walls so measuring off these actually ends up with one speaker slightly closer to you than the other…I hadn’t realized this so learnt something new.

I would actually suggest these are anti faff devices as they provide more information/certainty which probably reduces time spent faffing.

Thanks Matt!

5 Likes

Looks interesting. Please add me to the list.

1 Like

Well it is for stereos :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for dropping off mike

Had a quick go tonight and mine too were way out, feel I need to get nerdy with the tape measure re width apart etc but the lasers defo add a jimmy bond feel to proceedings, elevating to a science level faff quotient, I feel like I Now have an ology

Mucho recommended, thanks Matt

Steve if you want to pm me your address I will have another go tomorrow night and post on Wednesday

Tomorrow’s plan is to make a head where I sit and laser it as realised aligning the dots in the wall behind my head is a foot out😬

Cheers
Darren

1 Like

Post alignment photo

7 Likes

Nice tape deck :slightly_smiling_face:

Hoping so but so far I Still haven’t gotten around to connecting it buying a tape and try to switch it on, hoping to one day though

1 Like

How did you mount the “Rent a Faffs” on the curved tops?

Wasn’t an issue they just balanced and were level, I had blue tac ready just in case but wasn’t needed

1 Like

Nice guitars Darren