Retirement

I will keep working until the daft amount of money to be earned doing my job stops (which probably won’t be long) or I feel unable to any longer do it. I have a private pension which doesn’t mature until I am 70 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s great, if you really enjoy your job but, the fact still remains (and it’s a fucking biggy), that you never know when your health (or yourself) will expire.

1 Like

You could always supplement that by writing a book?

“Cartridges, and how to fettle them - permanently”

4 Likes

I don’t remember saying that :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I have watched too many blokes stop work at 65 and vegetate, my father for one.

4 Likes

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :thinking:

2 Likes

Just in the process of turning 50 now.

Plan to continue until 55 and then start to wind down and go semi-retired and likely stay that way until it proves to difficult to lift a spanner. Helps keep the old mind engaged also.

3 Likes

You didn’t obvs, it was just a qualifier. This year, I shit you not, I have seen 2 mates, both well under the age of 60, depart this mortal coil.

One was fit as a fiddle, one not a particularly big surprise, but …

As soon as I can afford it, I’m outta work.

2 Likes

I’ve seen many go that way. I have too many bloody hobbies so the opposite is true for me.

3 Likes

I’m never going to retire, I’m planning to go flat out until I’m 70 (fifteen years) and then take it easier but still carry on until I can’t do it anymore. I love my work, it’s my life honestly and I’m never happier than when I’m in the workshop. Every day I get to faff and learn something new. What’s not to like?

11 Likes

Or more accurately… 25 pour overs, 2 barbeques and a pair of cold brews. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

If you’re really at a loose end then the ivy in my garden needs attention.

My father and my mother’s father both died at 63. And neither of them had had forty odd years as a diabetic.

VB

1 Like

I’d just be bored if I retired. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

You need some golf in your life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Golf would drive me to suicide.

3 Likes

At least retirement would no longer be a problem :slight_smile:

This is the case with my parents. Only grand children and holidays compete for hobby -time.

1 Like

But, you are the most fortunate person, work wise, that I know, by a looong way.

Long may it continue mate :+1:

1 Like

Although not planned, I managed to retire three years ago at 60, thanks to a bit of luck with voluntary redundancy and the last pension rule changes. Haven’t looked back since, absolutely no regrets.

1 Like

I’ve only ever known one other person love their job as you do.

I fucking hated every poxy job I had, especially when I was self-employed

Same as this and I hate my current one more than any other :frowning: