Retirement

I’ve trained myself to love it. My working life has seriously NOT been some sort of linear good time, achievement thing. It took me years to give in to it but I realised that I was holding myself back and eventually decided that I was actually going to be happier with a work life balance more in favour of work. Things have been much easier since.

3 Likes

But isn’t that truly happy, not accepting ?

You said you didn’t want to retire; that certainly isn’t just accepting.

I can see me working until at least 70. I’ve been working with 3 Solicitors in their mid to late 70s. I was 45 on Thursday. You do get better at the job every year. I think working is good for you.

I’ve been doing 3 or 4 days a week. Although I’m 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks.

I plan to keep on doing at most 4 days a week.

1 Like

Again, that is part time, not full time.

3 or 4 days a week would be a LOT easier.

Ha ! There is a builder in you somewhere.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not with you! A few beers going down here…

Almost zero chance of affording to retire early, but it’s aggeessss away :wink: Dad is still working at 67 but the idea of him not working is probably as weird to him as it is to me.

2 Likes

Soon be 78 and still working. Well Acting. :star_struck:

11 Likes

Sorry Ritchie,

A lot of alcohol here too.

I meant to say “but is that truly happy, not just accepting ?” Hic !

Had planned on packing in at 63 but events in my 60th year convinced me to go then. Did 18 months part-time then complete freedom! No regrets. Have learned to live within my means and have enough hobbies to keep busy. I’m a lot less stressed / more relaxed nowadays! 67 now.

6 Likes

So much of happiness is accepting though, no?

1 Like

That reminds me … I must buy some wood tomorrow. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does your wife know?

2 Likes

My edit was too late I see. :slight_smile:

True, but you need to have something acceptable in the first place. Also, for some (me included), accept = compromise.

This. Every word

Very much hoping this will be me, in the next 3 or 4 years.

Go for it!

If I can make it work, most certainly will :+1:

When I was 50 we worked out how much we needed a month to live comfortably. We then put everything else into an ISA. When I was 58 I got the chance to take redundancy from a computer company who doesn’t make tomato sauce, took the 25% tax free, bought our caravan in the Lake District and put the rest into my pension pot.

We now draw down the same amount from the main pension that we needed 16 years ago having run down the ISA’s until last year when my OAP kicked in.

TBH, I feel very lucky the way things have gone.

11 Likes