Roast Potato Faff

Nien. Nien. Nien!

You tell her :unamused:

1 Like

Nein

5 Likes

Maris, Roosters, Edwards, As above: boil, rough, very hot goose, duck fat or beef dripping, salt. Lush !

Ya’ll forgot the essential Sous Vide stage :rofl:

Shit. Nein indeed.

1 Like

Well I have thought of trying this!

Sous vide in a bit of fat with rosemary and garlic to infuse flavour first. But I thought without the boiling first it probably wouldn’t crisp up as well.

So maybe sous vide to impart flavour, quick boil, fluff, air dry, then oven with fat

1 Like

Sous vide roasties = solution to a problem that doesn’t exist

6 Likes

Was acting ‘Puckish’ there Dom…sorry :grinning:

I think @anon14766838 was doing sous vide roasties in another thread

I was but they weren’t that great this time due to oven temperature mishap, so they didn’t crisp up like last time.

Do they get cooled and aired after the bath?

Yes, then nursie gives me some extra fluffage & a happy ending!

3 Likes

Jan has asked if there is any advice on doing them on the BBQ.

No reply required.

yes, they need to cool. But there is little moisture to air off, as they cook without contact with water - the bath is about preserving the potato flavour, and any seasoning you care to add - we used rosemary and goose fat.

unfortunately the cockup with the oven temp meant they didn’t get as crispy as last time.

The sous-vide carrots were amazing, a deep carrot flavour. Knob of butter, caraway and seasoning. No water.

3 Likes

I do pretty much the same as everyone else but have experimented with a freezer stage after par boiling, like the tripple cooked chip method. Works well, but haven’t tried it in a while.

1 Like

The best roasties I ever made was when i (thought i’d) over-boiled them and some of the smaller ones has dissolved into mush. I always bottle it at about 30 mins of ‘par’ boiling though.
The other component is to make sure they are as dry as possible before putting them in hot oil.

2 Likes

One additional thing I’d add is that it’s better to use large potatoes and cut them up. The hard corners caused by the cut lines tend to crisp up rather better than if you have whole small potatoes.

4 Likes

No one adding onion to the roasting pan?