Roon redux

:zipper_mouth_face:

Mqa stuff is fine if thereā€™s no red book alternative? It still plays just as normal even if you havenā€™t got mqa stuff.

Not sure why itā€™s a problem? It just doesnā€™t unwrap to get the full monty, but works fine otherwise in the lower resolution (which is often better than redbook).

I have been using Qobuz as my default option as pretty much decided that is the route Iā€™m going. There are some gaps in the older parts of back catalogues but it is an extensive library.

I didnā€™t know anything about MQA until it was flagged here but having read up on it I would prefer to avoid it.

Itā€™s very much the principle, Steve.

I donā€™t endorse MQA, I donā€™t want MQA, I didnā€™t pay for MQA when I took Tidalā€™s Ā£20/m ā€œlosslessā€ service. I think Bob Stuart is an arsehole trying to line his pension pot with a pointless format that contains stealth DRM.

4 Likes

I get you. But you can just play it unwrapped as a standard file and not have to pay them a penny.
If you have both versions on tidal it is just a labelā€¦ you are only feeling better by selecting the non mqa.
It makes no actual difference to what you hear. Unless they make cash from you using it without the licence and hardware.
It would be better just having the free high res (not upsampled stuff), I agree.

Ironically, if you play a MQA file on non-compliant hardware it is not bit-perfect. MQA claim that itā€™s better, because of their de-blur technology. Itā€™s hard to describe that as anything but utter horse shit

5 Likes

Didnā€™t know that. Shows how unclear it all is. The guides say it plays ok unwrapped. Often in a slightly better than red book resolution.

Again, why canā€™t we just have a world where itā€™s clear what you get. Redbook. High res. Upsampled high res. Clearly marked.

Mqa was supposed to give clarityā€¦ but it is just DRM with some spin.

1 Like

You clearly donā€™t.

Itā€™s being licensed to Tidal (and Roon). Iā€™m paying them indirectly. I am the product, etc. etc.

Putting aside whether I could even reliably tell the difference between 320kpb mp3 and Lossless in a blind test, MQA is a lossy format. I am being mis-sold if Tidal are not providing redbook versions.

Seems so if unwrapped mqa isnā€™t just usual or better standard lossless.

I live and learn!

MQA is valueless to the end user and predicated on marketing to drive adoption so they can extract cash from licensing from everywhere but the end-user. Itā€™s clever, as it appears free and with no downside when it is the exact opposite.

Ultimately itā€™s worse in every respect that simple hi-res. Since streaming hi-res is trivial for 99.99% of users nowadays, MQA solves no problems at all. (As an aside, MQA often compresses badly, so can be higher bandwidth than the same lossless file.)

2 Likes

This.

Itā€™s also worth pointing out that MQA doesnā€™t utilise the full dynamic range of high res. So if you take a 24/96 recording and MQA it to get a 24/48 stream, you donā€™t get 24 bits of dynamic range - some is lost for the high frequency stuff.

This probably only matters to you if you are using digital attenuation, but I would expect that high res streaming users are more likely than most to do this.

1 Like

Iā€™m very fortunate to have subs provided for Tidal and Qobuz Sublime+. At the start, I still preferred Tidal but right now, if I had to choose one to spend my own money on, Qobuz would be the one Iā€™d pick without hesitation.

A few senior industry types who have to go unnamed, are really hoping that Qobuz being added to Roon could be a significant help in knocking MQA into touch. Weā€™ll have to see.

5 Likes

Qobuz has one major flaw for my listening habits: the library is missing large chunks of stuff I listen to. It is weak on alternative/indie.

And most stuff is red book not hi-res

Iā€™m not bothered about that either because

a) I think hi-res is unnecessary and doesnā€™t bring anything to the party
and
b) Itā€™s on a different pricing tier anyway.

that answers that question then

Tidal wins for me, trial only at Keggie then dumped

Excuse the thread necro but there is a massive update to Roon. Iā€™ve just updated the App on my iPad and the software on my Zen which houses the core. Itā€™ll be interesting to see how good the new version is, but the internet radio is a very welcome addition.

1 Like

The other ā€œmassive updateā€ is theyā€™ve put the lifetime price up to $700. I assume the Ā£ price will be the same.

Ludicrous.

1 Like