Roon redux

Hmm. I have botched a solution on LMS whereby I cast to a Chromecast, which then plays through the line in on the pi server. I’d like something more elegant, but it’s not easy to find.

The thing I’m finding most useful is the Roon Radio feature - basically it looks at what you’ve played most recently and then plays tracks from other similar artists you might like. I’ve found it a really good antidote to getting stuck in a rut with the same few artists and albums. It means I get much better use out of my Qobuz subscription.

1 Like

We have Marantz all in ones in the girl’s rooms. They are not Roon-ready, but you can cast the Roon media stream from the iPhone which is simply superb.

What I want is the other way round, I think. For example, being able to browse for music on the phone in any app, and just playing that on whatever speaker you like. I also want to be able to press the “4” button and get Radio 4.

Android phone/tablet and a chromecast should do that

Chromecast doesn’t have a button for radio 4. Or volume controls and the like. I want those on the box, don’t want to have to find my phone while I’m cooking.

Ah misunderstood

(Get a hateful Alexa/google thing, no buttons at all …)

You said it, and I agree!

1 Like

coz, y’know

Privacy’s over rated (they tell me, repeatedly)

A good update this morning, including Roon Radio now pulling in metadata and linking it to TIDAL.

3 Likes

I’m just updating Roon now. I’ve not really explored the Roon Radio much at all.

The caveat is it doesn’t work on FLAC streams.

I may be doing the manufacturer wrong, but …

If you feel that the Roon Nucleus is a bit cheap, how about the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (they’re not kidding)?

https://taikoaudio.com/product/sgm-extreme/

Appears to be Roon Core running on Windows.

Forget the price, scroll down to the bit where it says how much it weighs.

@htm_1968 - just the thing for you to install given your current state :smile:

Actually, does this thing even include a DAC?

Nope, just USB out.

That is ridiculous. It is an absolute rip-off.

Straight out of the Aurender smoke-and-mirrors playbook.

There are twats everywhere that lap this shit up.

1 Like

Two thousand quid for 22TB of extra storage.
£2.5k for an SPDIF output.

1 Like

Yehbut it weighs 42kg. It must be good.

Hernias notwithstanding.

1 Like

Phwoar. Will it run Crysis?