Roon redux

Shows Apple for the over generous luvvies they really are

Moving towards showing Roon the door.

Itā€™s probably great for jazzers, but makes really quite a hash of DJ mixes, compilations, soundtracks, multiple bitrate copies of the same stuff.

Stuff gets merged, stuff simply disappears :unamused:

Itā€™s a shame, because I like the actual sound of what I put together for it to drive.

Stuck at home, so naturally Roon is behaving like an utter bastard.

2 Likes

I got the bollock ache with Roon running slowly on my NUCi3 so switched over to LMS.

Have just bought a NUC8i7 in order to go back to it and the bloody thing is still very slow doing searches or loading Qobuz etc.

Iā€™ve got the wierdest shit going on that I canā€™t seem to troubleshoot.

Stuttering like a bastard through the Transporter, but not on other endpoints.

Attach the Transporter to LMS and it works fine.

Iā€™ve factory reset the Transporter, completely restarted my NAS, router and mesh discs.

Just changed the 2.4Ghz channel on the mesh and it seems to have fixed it. So much for ā€˜Autoā€™.

An i7 to stream music? Crock of shit software comes to mind

Annoying thing is that the app is really good, I always end up going on a music discovery voyage using roon but it does run like a fucking dog.

I just gave up this morning. Disconnect, factory reset, uninstall etc.

1 Like

Yep, this.

If it wanā€™t for the musical discovery aspect and integrated library it could fuck off as far as Iā€™m concerned.

1 Like

Have you checked the network usage on it? I wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s constantly phoning home and thatā€™s the source of the delay

Donā€™t mention networking, that has been a fucking nightmare in my house.

It doesnā€™t call home that much, I think the issue is that it doesnā€™t use the Qobuz API but they host their own copy of the Qobuz/Tidal DB and that doesnā€™t seem to query very well or optimally.

Their recommendations are comical, but I run it on a 4 year old Celeron and itā€™s fine.

Iā€™m not doing any dsp or that sort of thing. The basic library functions are reasonably snappy.

how is searching qobuz for you? on mine I get that fucking squid thing for up to a minute before anything comes back.

Tidal here. Itā€™s generally fine.

Iā€™ve been on it all day (Nucleus) and everything is working fine on Tidal and Qobuz FWIW.

have just tried searching qobuz and it seems pretty rapid at the mo.

typical, start moaning and it works fine

I have willed it to be so

You see, itā€™s a proven winner to be miserable.