Roon redux

Good choice.:+1:

Seems odd that it didnā€™t wait and give you the option. Sounds all-in-all like a ā€˜just worksā€™ solution that is a fucking nightmare when it doesnā€™t.

It really is, I had a look at the network side and that is also a clusterfuck of bastardised protocols just so they can call RAAT a proprietary protocol.

It has the best GUI and music info of any program Iā€™ve tried so far though and their support do tend to help and fix things. I tried Jriver a few years ago and their advice for pretty much every problem was ā€œthat will be fixed in the next versionā€ which is a paid upgrade.

The two things that keep me in are the hotlinked metadata in reviews and bios, and the consolidated local and streaming libraries.

Otherwise Iā€™d go back to LMS.

1 Like

I am told you can now do this with LMS so it is the hotlinked metadata etc that is the sole USP. It used to be a huge pain in the arse to update LMS on a Vortexbox so I never did. I presume the Innuos does it automatically, although Iā€™ve never checked.

I tried to get it working on LMS but in my weird and wonderful setup couldnā€™t get 8.x working so couldnā€™t test it.

I highly doubt Innuos will move to a new branch like that. It will be manual.

LMS was a load of faff and hassle and mincing about with plugins. I like the zero faff aspect of Roon

Probably. As I use Roon Iā€™ve filed LMS in the ā€˜Give this Zero fucksā€™ drawer.

I still run both for all the reasons.

1 Like

You bored or something? :grinning:

You would be if I explained why :smiley:

1 Like

Basically a streaming turd wrapped in platinum foil.

That leaks.

1 Like

As others have said, LMS can do this now, although perhaps not quite as elegantly. The killer feature for me is Roon Radio. Iā€™ve discovered a lot of new and interesting music this way.

3 Likes

Actually yes, Roon Radio is suprisingly good.

2 Likes

The first thing I did was turn it off

1 Like

Musicā€™s a broad church

This is bloody flakey software.
Kept blank screening, I thought it was when I minimised the window but even when I left it open and moved to another window when I came back I had a blank screen.
After my last experience with video drivers I checked for updates and found a W10 update ready to download.
Installed this and it fixed the problem.
Got 12 trial days left, It is pissing me off enough not to bother, and at the price it should not piss me off at all, it is not like I am buying an Alpha Romeo ffs.

I do like the bio articles and the library integration though :thinking:

1 Like

Iā€™m unclear how theyā€™ve managed to make a comparatively simple job this flaky (and resource hungry).

Thereā€™s clearly a lot of code so I either couldnā€™t write it on my own or it would take a (very) long time, but Iā€™m confident that as part of a fair standard-sized team I could make a much more reliable job of it.

2 Likes

They are hiring. You should apply and sort it out for them.

1 Like

Software doesnā€™t get this messed up by accident, it looks like a cultural problem to me.

And fixing cultural problems isnā€™t my speciality.

Well, talking to people in general isnā€™t my speciality.

1 Like