Roon redux

Burn the heretic!

You’re telling me I have to buy PMC speakers too? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes I did get rid of Roon.
I liked the interface but the collatoral nigthtmare wasn’t worth it.

I now have reverted back to my main system of a Synolgy NAS connected to a CA 851N streamer and I either listen to my own library or Tidal using the CA app on my phone or iPad.

2 Likes

Strictly optional (and at a… robust… £3,800, not a cheap option either).

1 Like

So will your eardrums and the hairs on your teeth.

But no intact glassware

2 Likes

This isn’t a dig at you specifically but I do find it interesting how attitudes toward companies is effectively preserved in aspic. I remember old Chord dems vividly- one particularly unwise one with old school Focal Utopias in particular will most likely survive the onset of dementia- but they were getting on for twenty years ago. The modern stuff- the digital especially- is a world away from what went before (where it was all very clever but you could hear all the cleverness). Naim has arguably been on an even longer journey, to the point where- testing a Supernait 3, Copland CSA100 and Rega Aethos back to back- the Rega was definitely the edgier amp and the Naim was probably more forgiving than the Copland too.

The PMC… well that’s a set of design philosophies that I don’t actively seek out but even then, all of it together is perfectly happy. Like many other categories, true marmite outliers in audio are pretty rare these days. Most of it tends to the inoffensive.

1 Like

Stereotypes (see what I did there?) are much more fun though :grinning:

If anyone wants a cheap Tidal account a VPN to Argentina and a global credit card will get you one for ÂŁ2 per month (HiFi)

Only downside is a lot of Spanish albums in the recommendations / new releases.

And it only needs an i9 with 64GB RAM, amirite lads?

Sooo 9th of February the Roon Forum will go into meltdown. I don’t much care about the new features as long as (i) it works (ii) it isn’t more resource hungry :tired_face: and (iii) it has no audible effect on playback quality.

I’m not buying a new NUC to keep Roon going though…

and only plays MQA files :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahahahahahah.

1 Like

I wonder if it still duffs as much ass on tablets.

1 Like

Yeah the whole, “portrait on a phone, portrait on an iPad Pro, landscape only on an iPad” is proper special bus windowlicking.

1 Like

I really have no idea why people still use Roon. LMS has been transformed by the online library integration, it’s so easy to browse Qobuz etc. And it runs really well on a Raspberry Pi.

That particular “feature” drove me up the wall.

Right up until the point when the entire thing simultaneously shat itself and caught fire.

1 Like

I have a love hate relationship with Roon when it works it’s a dream everything in one place and rather lovely interface but fuck me it’s PITA a lot of the time. Reckon I have to reboot it at least once a week. Fully expect this major update to be a shitshow but we’ll see.

1 Like

Surprised they’re not co-launching it with the i11.

2 Likes

Good lord, they’ve confirmed Portrait support on the iPad.

2 Likes