Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

No it’s just infuriating me. Musically I’m not very keen on it and the design is dreadful and seems to want to spend more time charging than being used but I still like to spend some proper time with things and due to work hours it’s a pain to get down to a post office.

It will more than likely hit the sales pages once lockdown has gone.

So somehow I managed to get time to wheel the Wilsons out for a first listen but my current room is resonating like a good un with the extra bass and with little option re placement they are back in thier boxes until I move and they have room to breathe. Much as I expected tbh.

31 Likes

Agreed Nick, they really need to be well away from the walls.

1 Like

I’m hoping they can sit somewhere around 1-2m out at the new place. I’ve never had a room that I can have speakers away from the wall before so I’m really looking forward to that.

3 Likes

Beautiful finish :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Look great Nick, Atlas should drive them beautifully.

1 Like

They look great, roll on bake offs!!

2 Likes

Take 2: trying via USB audio again, somehow it seems to be working according to the lights on the DAC. Only thing is that the only spare-ish Pi is currently vaguely used as a CamJam thingy with the excuse of home learning.

Obviously I have set the player name as piCarPlayer.

5 Likes

And of course

I do now, however, have to consider SACD ripping again.

Of course! But IMO ripping SACD is bloody stupid, just stream the hi-res on Qobuz.

1 Like

As mentioned previously, I have a shop in Leamington where I can (as of today anyway) walk in and buy SACDs. My SCD777ES also, until the laser inevitably bricks itself, sounds better than the DAC Box RS.

And having checked this

is not in high res on Qobuz.

2 Likes

My first step into streaming,with a 2nd hand M2tech dac and a 2nd hand Primare np5 prisma network bridge.Dont think i will be giving up my N/A Dais anytime soon.Wheres the soundstage gone?

3 Likes

Finally got the Quad 989 system weekend before last that I won on ebay back in early February. As a reminder I got the speakers, Naim 112X pre, DIY flatcap & Avondale power amp and a Marantz CD-50 SE.
I had a quick listen to the full system but didn’t like the flat and rolled off sound. I suspect the interconnects didn’t help so connected the speakers to my main system which brought a very noticeable improvement. They don’t have the top end, or speed of my Voxativ speakers, but they do have a charm of their own and have been enjoying playing music through them. It was worth the wait.

8 Likes

Glad to hear that you have finally got them!

1 Like

I suspect that the Naim pre-amp may be the problem. I heard a Naim 112 ruin a friend’s system making it sound very flat. Quite a transformation and not in a good way. It was quickly sold.

1 Like

I think you’re probably right, I doubt it will be staying long as I really don’t need it.

You got the Voxativs going then.

Guess what? my amp is back - :grin:

thank you @Valvebloke Graeme. And thank you for carrying it most of the way. 50Kg of amp is not good for my hernia.

We have unpacked it but not yet installed as the box was attracting too much interest…one very curious cat

21 Likes

New turntable

Bought it from a bloke over Lincolnshire way who had one going spare, think the name began with an E

19 Likes

I’m not a TT expert but there appears to be a bit missing