Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

The Rega Maia3 power amp worked really well in to them.

1 Like

When’s his birthday? :grin:

He’s had quite enough kit from me, he’s going to have to fund any further upgrades himself.

We’ll see. :rofl:

That was so nice of you to get him some Acapellas.

1 Like

I believe they are Avantgarde Acoustic.

1 Like

That’s really good of you. I’ve just researched my family tree and I think I’m your niece. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent, niece usually gets perfume and nick nacks for her flat :rofl:

(Nephew is the vinyl enthusiast).

2 Likes

Got the hifi bug and yesterday I dug out my old mini DSP 2x4hd and had a nice evening listening to Amazon music unlimited (3 month free trial). I managed to get reasonably flat LF response close to 20hz. Tis good because I cannot remember managing even close to 20Hz before and the bass sounds decent all around the room and even in the hallway as well. Not too directional. Two pairs of 15" drivers are usually used in this configuration but I’m not set up for that.

Amplifiers used a nobsound TPA3116 and Laney CA1500 350w 8ohm Disco amp. Main speakers are a DIY mini monitor hash up using brazilian 5" PRV FR drivers - Bass drivers also Brazilian Selenium Neo 15W12p running back to back and centrally placed as I only have one pair of these drivers. Crossover is at 110 hz LR 24db.

A dirty ish graph with 10db graduations for Adam

It’s a very nice easy listen even at loudish volumes but now the room is trashed after being lovely and tidy. I would be listening and faffing all day with it but I have the village xmas tree to sort out today.

13 Likes

Not HiFi and not second hand, but grade B manufacturer repaired with a full manufacturers guarantee. To replace my Onkyo 605 which has been switching itself off / crackling more than bonfire night and has already been repaired twice.

8 Likes

Big :+1:

:laughing: I know. I hadn’t quite appreciated how big.

I like Rotel kit. Slightly jealous here… I have a similar but older Yamaha AV amp but it’s not 4K so I do look around a bit

2 Likes

I’ve never had Rotel before, but liked the sound of the brand. Japanese and still family owned, make their own transformers etc. etc. It also has less gimmicks than the other more mainstream brands and supposedly focuses on the sound quality. It should play music well too. It doesn’t have Audessey / Dirac which is one down side. Hopefully, I can set it up ok without it. Plus it was heavily reduced which given supply chain issues with AV amps particularly is hard to come by. Let’s hope it’s not a lemon. I can always return it. I will let you know how I get on with it.

2 Likes

Not A/V, but have you seen the keenly-priced RA-1570 on Fink Pish?

1 Like

It’s the AV stuff I want these days - I’ve tried connecting the tv to a dac and pre-power and it was a total faff. These days everything’s connected to one box and when i turn the TV on the amp picks the right input for me (and the wife!)

Thanks though.

Hyperfi have new factory repaired ones of those for marginally more. With a full guarantee. The one I purchased is cosmetically perfect.

1 Like

Like t’other Paul, if I’m in the market for anything, it’s gonna be an A/V unit like yours!

Having had the Hana ML for a few weeks I am very impressed. It handles any genre with aplomb. The detail and separation are a cut above the SL it replaced. Would I pay full RRP? Probably, but I would need to hear other MC carts at this price point.

8 Likes

You’re prolly miles ahead of me on this (and I’ve not tried the ML), but it reminds me a lot of the Ortofon Cadenzas - and I wonder if like them you might benefit from tinkering with VTA by ear rather than just going by what’s technically correct? The Cadenza’s are super-sensitive to it - more so than they are to resistive loading - so if not quite all you hoped for, it may be worth a tinker.

The other factor is capacitance - again, assuming you have tweaking options, trust your lugs, (and acknowledging your tonearm leads are probably an unknown factor here) - IME it can never be too low (E&OE!).

1 Like