Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

Genese Quartets:

3 Likes

Dynavector dv20xl, bought this one from @Turningjapanese and just got round to fitting it. I think they were around 800 quid new, to put it in price context.

A glorious cart, reminds me of the smaller Karrat. Deep, punchy base with an extended treble that doesn’t drift into harshness and glare. It’s not subtle in the midrange in way way that the Koetsu manages, but it does make you want to dig out record after record, no bad thing, even if the air guitar makes an appearance

How loud can Sandman go, turns out loud enough for Miriam to comment 50 yards down the street😁

20 Likes

Glad you like it bob

1 Like

Not mine, and not in my system, but brand new. “Testing” FoL#1 Ellies going to Uni present “to make sure it’s OK…” :wink:

JBL Xtreme 3

For something approx the size of a rugby ball it can’t half do bass!

13 Likes

Those JBLs thingies are just fecking bonkers. :+1:

2 Likes

They sure are. I use mine more than the big stereo in the summer.

2 Likes

Ive heard a few little boxes at friends bbq stuff and none of them have got anywhere near what a JBL can do :muscle:

It is mad how loud and low it goes. Feel sorry for the other kids in her halls when she cranks up the K Pop…

2 Likes

Just bought a MASSIVE CD player from our local charity shop for a tenner. Christ knows why tbh.
It has a 5 disc carousel, which allows you to change 4 discs while the 5th is playing.
When I’m bored of looking at the ugly monstrosity (later this evening I expect) I’ll donate it back to the shop.
Works fine and sounds good.

11 Likes

I’d happily pay the tenner back to the charity shop again and take that off you.
My bedroom one is playing up…

Put some bricks under the cabinet legs and slide it underneath with your selected phono stage. Job done.

Ok

If you had aligned that slightly to the right it would have looked like a valve JBL boom box

2 Likes

Np

Not shiny, not brand new or even new to me, but have been trying these Troels Ellam Flex speakers that I bought a while ago. Relieved to find that the lack of treble was caused by the builder /previous owner mislabelling the tweeter phase. Swapped the leads over and hey presto, good sound.

14 Likes

Certainly not shiny or at all new, but sound great, should drag them out more often.
B&W DM2.

Testing before Settle.

10 Likes

Look lovely they do.

4 Likes

Stratospheric WAF.

5 Likes

Donna is on nights, she doesn’t suspect a thing, I’ve paid the kids off….

17 Likes

I’ve had some serious noise issues with my main system that I have struggled to reduce. I have failed.

The problem started when I actually decided to really improve the system - I got a new PC and five good budget DACs. I think it was an earthing issue within the PCI system in the computer. I suspect that a modern motherboard with PCI works unusually, in order to maintain backwards compatibility with this old tech. There was a constant high pitched noise and it was really annoying.

Anyway I splashed out £2.99 on a firewire card and plugged in @wayward 's old M-Audio Profile 610, a 10 output audio interface:

Now there is no noise, only music.

I might get a more modern audio interface if I can be bothered or if Ritchie wants this one back!

9 Likes